Unit 25

hey yo little gift for you have fun, hope you like ;) ;) ;) ;)

Disclaimer: This story contains violence, gore, sexual content and strong language. Subjects covered might trigger some. If you are very sensible or easily offended, please abstain from reading.  

Reluctantly, Quest walked away from the crime scene with Wade on his heels. He had advised him to go for now and keep his theories for the meeting the next day. Quest knew mostly everyone in their team blamed him almost entirely for Jesus' death, and so staying there would only make things worse.

Even though other people's opinions of him had never mattered, Quest could feel the pressure weighting on his shoulders. He knew he had failed to stop Alpha, and his inability to do so had not only cost 10 people's lives, but it included the life of someone he knew personally. Wade wasn't speaking, but he knew he had also dropped in his esteem.

When he got to the street, he analysed his surroundings. He was starting to know Alpha, his way of doing things, his way of thinking. He didn't have to think twice and he headed to the restaurant directly in front of the hospital. Wade still following him, he got in and asked for the manager. When she arrived, he showed her his badge and immediately asked for the videos from the security cameras. Wade still hadn't talked, but Quest didn't care.

When the manager left them alone, Quest sat on a chair and viewed the videos silently. Quest had to watch the whole tape from yesterday night since he hadn't been given an approximate time of death. Finally, after an hour of silence, he saw the same black hooded man enter the restaurant, carefully hiding from the cameras. He ordered food and ate it. Suddenly, Quest saw him raise his hand with five fingers all well expanded. He balled it up then did the same thing again. Quest clenched his teeth so hard he felt the muscles in his jaw sting with pain.

Alpha then took his rubbish, threw them out and left, still avoiding the eye of the cameras. Still without a word, Quest made himself a copy and left without thanking the manager.

When they got out, Quest had had enough. He stopped walking abruptly and turned to Wade in a swift movement.

"Alpha is playing a game with me," he said.

"What do you mean?" Wade asked.

"Don't you see it, Wade?" Quest exclaimed. "Alpha is playing a game with me. He knows me somehow."

"Why do you think that?"

Quest sighed angrily.

"Alpha always hides his face from the cameras. He knows where the cameras are, but he doesn't avoid them. If he really didn't want me to find him or know a part of him, he wouldn't do his crimes out in the open. He likes being watched. In this footage, he raised his hand twice to the camera. He showed me ten fingers. He was about to kill Jesus, the tenth victim! He saw through my ruse, Wade! I gave you all fake identities and I gave Jesus a name that wasn't in the pattern, yet he was still murdered! Alpha wants to play with me, this is all a game to him! I gave him an opportunity and he took it!"

Wade looked at Quest longingly, his eye twitching dangerously.

"Are you trying to tell me you used Jesus Harrigan as bait?"

"What..?" Quest exclaimed. "No... N-No I didn't... Of course I didn't..."

"Kadner!"

"I swear, Wade!" Quest uttered. "If he got this identity it was a coincidence..!"

"Kadner," Wade said with a calmer tone that wasn't reassuring, though. "Stop lying to me. You knew, deep down, that this was going to happen, didn't you? You knew he was going to come after Jesus because, like you just told me, you knew he is playing a game with you. You knew Jesus was going to die!"