Unit 3

Disclaimer: This story contains violence, gore, sexual content and strong language. Subjects covered might trigger some. If you are very sensible or easily offended, please abstain from reading.

Dan didn't stop running until he reached his apartment. It was now around 6 in the morning and the sun was starting to rise. His throat and mouth were dry as sand and his lungs were burning like a bonfire. Dan slammed open the door of the flat, ran up the stairs and locked himself in the bathroom. He leaned down on the toilet and threw up.

He held the toilet seat with both hands, his body shaking violently. He threw up again and he moved away from the toilet. His hand was still covered in some remaining dry blood. He opened the tap and maniacally washed his hands, rubbing so hard it actually hurt. Dan splashed water all over his face, still shaking dangerously.

He looked at himself in the mirror. "I killed her..." he whispered. "I killed her... I killed Agana... I killed her..."

He stopped. His limbs instantly stopped shaking and his heart almost stopped beating. He didn't know what the feeling he felt inside was. Should he cry? Scream? Both?

Dan looked deeply into his own eyes. He started laughing. He laughed, at first lightly, and then louder and louder. Dan laughed hysterically, maniacally. "I killed her!" he repeated to himself. And he laughed. "I hid her body so well; nobody's going to find her! It'll take a few days before anybody notices she's missing, and nobody will know she got murdered! Nobody will suspect me! Nobody! NOBODY!!!"

Dan stepped back. When he realized what he had just said, his face dropped. He felt his stomach tighten and leaned back in time over the toilet before throwing up again. He started sobbing. He couldn't believe what he had just said. It felt so right, it still felt so right! Big teardrops fell from his eyes and landed in the toilet. He could hardly breathe.

He stood up, still weeping copiously, and got undressed. He stepped in the shower. The hot water felt good on his skin. He rubbed his face, trying to forget what had happened an hour ago. But seeing these images back in his head made him grin.

"No!" Dan yelled, hitting his head with his fist. "Why are you smiling! WHY ARE YOU SMILING!!!"

Dan hit the wall with his fist. He cried again, silently, the water falling down on him like a comforting hand.

The water of the shower became hotter. It suddenly became boiling hot and Dan started yelling. He tried stopping the shower but everything he tried made the water hotter. The water was so hot it started burning his skin. It melted his flesh and Dan fell at the bottom of the shower, his body all bruised, burnt and bloody. He looked down at his body; the boiling water had carved the number "16" onto his chest.

He opened back his eyes. He stopped the shower, got out and wrapped a towel around his waist. He wasn't feeling better at all. All of these mixed feelings were fighting inside of him like enemies, all of them trying to prove they're the best; they're the most moral one.

Dan went back to his room. He took the penknife out of his pant's pocket and opened the drawer of oblivion. He stared at it for a moment. He closed it. Dan put the penknife under his pillow before putting his clothes back on.

He dragged his feet back to the living room and sat there for God knows how long. 7:00, 8:00, 9:00 passed, and Dan stayed in the same position, staring into the emptiness. He looked lost. Like he was physically there, but mentally long gone.

~

Around 9:15, Phil woke up. He went to the kitchen and prepared himself some cereals. He went back to the living room and saw Dan sitting on the sofa.