Chapter 31: Progress and Power

Estela stood in the centre of the circle of people dressed in long black cloaks, and all eyes were upon her, including Tom's. She had no idea what to do, they had all just sworn their allegiance to her, but she was almost certain that they wouldn't be half as loyal to her as they were to Tom.

Astrea Black's large bottle-green eyes did not move from Estela, and she eyed her with such envy and evident fury that she thought she might explode. Despite her obvious hatred towards Estela, she had still pledged her allegiance to her - the girl who had mocked and taunted her throughout her years at Hogwarts - and all because Tom told her to do so.

Estela wondered whether they would do anything he said. Would they break school rules? Would they harm another? Would they harm themselves? Would they kill? Exactly how loyal were they to Tom? She couldn't help clandestinely admire Tom for his authority, and the power that he had over these people - all from well-respected wizarding families - and some even older than him.

With the energy that was flowing around the circle, emanating from Tom himself, she was certain that they would all fall to their knees, bowing their heads, if Tom were to merely snap his fingers. This was power. This was power and he had it. He had authority and control - he was a leader. He had such a deadly grasp over these people that she hadn't even anticipated.

There was total silence in the circle: not a single sound could be heard except the cool breeze rustling the leaves and the distant howling of a creature deep within the forest somewhere that sent a chill down Estela's spine. She felt cold inside and out. The fact that she was still in her dress did not help, and the cold of the metal on her chest was evident from when Tom had held it for his followers, or rather their followers now, she supposed.

They all looked at Estela expectantly, though reluctantly, as though she was meant to say something. She saw the resentment in their eyes - the eyes of the people she hated and the people who hated her. They would not tolerate her as a leader, they wouldn't listen, but she was an heir, and she had twice the amount of supremacy than Tom in that sense. Did they understand that? Did they understand that, unlike Tom, Estela descended from not one but two founders? Though that was the case, Estela wasn't a leader, and she didn't want to be, especially not to the people who stood around her. And most importantly, she couldn't provide them with all the things Tom could.

"They will obey you now, Estela - whatever you demand they will do." Said Tom softly as he stepped closer to Estela, his head bowed down to look at her. Waves of his black hair fell in front of his face a bit, and his dark eyes were piercing in contrast to the darkness of his hair and the paleness of his skin. "We have an agenda, you see, and one that you are well aware of. We are not just a group, we are an Order - an order intent upon ridding the Wizarding World of the pollution that has corrupted it."

He spoke in a way that told her he had done this a million times before. He sounded like a dark yet charismatic leader, as the circle of people nodded in agreement, clearly enticed by their leader's ambitions.

"We will achieve power someday," he said, his voice clearer and stronger as he turned to face his followers. "And when that time comes, I will lead you all, as I have done all this time, into a world where we will be recognised for our pure blood and supreme power. A world where those who are unworthy to walk amidst us shall be in their rightful place. You have all witnessed what I myself have created." He said, gesturing to the sky where the large skull and serpent had been, traces of the emerald glow and shining green stars still visible in the pitch-black sky above, like a firework fading slowly above them. "That is our mark from this moment on - the Dark Mark. We will be known by that mark in time to come, and when others see it," he paused dramatically with a wicked grin, looking right into the eyes of each and every one of his followers, their bodies stiffening. "They will tremble as they realise we are coming for them." He said maliciously.