Chapter 14: Horcrux

Chapter 14: Horcrux

It was coming up for the middle of November and the first signs of snow were beginning to show. Everyone had been gathered in the Great Hall by Headmaster Dippet, and the clouds above the students' heads on the enchanted roof were a stormy grey, and one or two tiny snowflakes could be seen falling here and there.

Estela sat next to Cayra and Anthony and was staring towards the Head Table grimly. She knew what the Headmaster wanted to announce, and a pang of guilt surged through her body.

"Good evening, students," began Dippet. "I have gathered you here on this cold evening to announce that Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry will not be closing." Loud whispers and excited voices broke out from the students. "The monster that attacked Myrtle Warren has been captured, and its owner punished."

Estela looked away from Dippet and glanced over to the Slytherin table, where Tom met her gaze coolly, completely unfazed.

"I can safely say that nobody in Hogwarts is in danger anymore. You may sleep in peace knowing that you are safe all thanks to one student. His honesty and bravery prevented this school from closing. If you could all give your applause for Mister Tom Riddle!"

A roar of applause echoed throughout the Great Hall, but Estela did not clap. Instead, she stared at Tom as he walked up to the front of the Hall where the Headmaster was beaming at him, and had plastered that convincing charm and appeal upon himself as he looked out towards the sea of students who and clapped and whooped for Tom Riddle.

From her side, Cayra elbowed Estela, and the look of confusion on her freckled face showed that she wondered why Estela wasn't joining in with the celebration.

But Estela knew this was wrong. She knew that whilst Rubeus Hagrid, a harmlessly innocent thirteen-year-old boy was facing a serious inquiry at the Ministry, the entire school was clapping and cheering for the boy who framed him.

Riddle shook Dippet's hand as cameras flashed around the Great Hall, and Estela felt a sickening feeling in her gut as the Headmaster looked down proudly at him as though he were his own son.

"Tom Riddle, I award you this trophy for Special Services to the School." He said, before handing Riddle the large golden trophy.

The teachers were all looking at Tom proudly – some even had tears in their eyes. All except one. Albus Dumbledore did not applaud. He kept his keen eyes directly upon Riddle, watching him ever so closely over his half-moon glasses. And Estela couldn't help but notice his unusually detached expression.

***

Tonight Estela had Prefect duties, but was in no mood to do so. She still felt incredibly guilty that Hagrid had been punished for the sake of Tom's self-interest. She knew that the right thing to do would be to go straight to Dumbledore and tell him the truth, but deep down she thought that he already knew. But if that was the case, why wasn't he doing anything about it?

"Estela!" she heard a voice shout from behind her as she stepped out of the Ravenclaw Common Room. She turned around to see Anthony jogging towards her with a grin on his face. "Seventh floor tonight, isn't it?" He was referring to their Prefect duties. Estela nodded. "Great, then let's get going."

Anthony and Estela set off down Ravenclaw tower and walked the dark corridors, guided by Estela's lumos maxima spell, which floated just ahead of them.

"Good news about Hogwarts, eh?" He said as they walked.

"Yes, I suppose." Estela replied. "But it doesn't remedy what happened to poor Myrtle."