Chapter 13: Trust

Chapter 13: Trust

Estela was making her way back to the Ravenclaw Common Room after her Charms lesson. She hadn't been able to concentrate very well in class, and Flitwick had noticed and had even asked her to stay behind after class to see if everything was all right. She was fine, except for the fact that her head was full to the brim with thoughts and questions about Tom, Myrtle's death and Hagrid's beast.

It just didn't add up.

She clutched her books closer to her chest as she manoeuvred her way through the swarm of students around her. Then she saw him.

"Riddle!" she shouted, but her voice was muffled by the loud buzz of the pupils' chatter.

She just about managed to catch up with him after squeezing and dodging her way past all the students, and she grabbed his arm to get his attention. He turned suddenly, his lip curled in disgust as he shot daggers and the person who dared to touch him.

His expression hardened when he realised it was Estela. "I don't have time to talk right now." He said as he began walking away.

"Wait!" she shouted, and Tom unwillingly turned back around towards her, his expression evidently annoyed. "You knew about that beast. The one that killed Myrtle."

His eyes narrowed. "How did you -?" He shook his head. "I can't talk about this right now."

"Something isn't right." Estela shot at him. "You know something, I'm sure of it. Why is it that Myrtle was killed in the Girls' Lavatory - the place that I caught you sneaking around at the dead of night?"

Tom's jaw clenched and without warning, and quicker than a whip, he gripped Estela's arm and pulled her to the side of the corridor, out of the way of the students and shot her a warning look.

"Watch your mouth." He snapped. "You're meddling in things you don't understand, so you'd do well to stay out of it."

"It wasn't the acromantula was it? That wasn't the beast that killed Myrtle." Tom gave her a glare so dark that she actually felt a shiver run down her spine.

"I'll tell you again," he said gravely, "don't meddle in matters you don't understand, Markorp." He was warning her, commanding her, but she wouldn't be controlled by him. He was hiding something and she knew it.

"I'm not going to stop until I find out. You know that, don't you?" she said, her tone equally as harsh as his.

"It has nothing to do with you." He growled as he began to walk away once more, but Estela grabbed his arm. She felt him tense at her touch, and he turned around quickly, rage flashing across his face.

"Was it you?" She asked quietly, and Tom's expression darkened.

"Are you accusing me of murdering another student?"

She shrugged, just about managing to hold his livid stare. "Well I certainly don't think you're innocent in all of this."

Tom hesitated, his jaw clenching and unclenching as he contemplated her. "Follow me." He demanded, grabbing Estela's arm and dragging her down the corridor and up multiple flights of stairs until they came to the seventh floor.

Tom walked up to the bare wall, Estela watching his every move intently, as he paced the length of the wall three times, concentrating hard, until he stopped.

Just like before, a door appeared on the previously bare wall. The Room of Requirement was exactly like it had been last time Estela was here, with a roaring fire casting lights across the entire room. Only one thing was different, the book that Tom mulled over so frequently was hidden from Estela. The old tattered book, 'Secrets of The Darkest Art', which was said to be the book containing the most horrific and terrible dark magic was no longer visible.