Mesmer Jr. & Vertin: I forgive you (2)

My dreams no longer exist, while yours are all nightmares

—-------

Who would be responsible for the losses?

"Not her." said the girl with the red hairband, "It shouldn't be her and will never be her."

—-------

Mesmer Jr. silently watched her patient, who was now sinking in the river of pain.

Another loss had drowned the gray-haired girl into a deeper level of the pitch black nightmare. From the bottom of it, countless hands that were tainted by a mysterious black liquid rose like newly sprouts, trying to drag the small figure down with them.

In no time, Mesmer Jr. activated her Arcane Skill, creating a thin rope made of light that appeared in front of the desperate girl.

"Hold it."

Although Vertin couldn't open her heavy eyelids, she still heard a familiar guiding voice from far away.

Her hands reached out to the rope that she couldn't even see without any hesitation.

Using the rope, she began to climb out of her nightmare little by little.

As soon as the final drop of black liquid left her body, Vertin opened her eyes and gasped for breath.

"My condition is still not better, isn't it?"

After realizing this was reality, Vertin turned her eyes to the person who was writing something next to her bed and asked.

"Yes."

Mesmer Jr. replied without any pause on her work.

That meant today's examination was over.

Vertin stood on the ground, changed her patient clothes into her usual Timekeeper's uniform and wore her hat.

Mesmer Jr. seemed to finish her patient's records. Still, she chose to stay in this room for a while before meeting her next patient that definitely lost their mind.

"Thank you for your treatment."

Vertin nodded and said.

She seriously appreciated the other girl's efforts in helping her escape that nightmare from time to time.

In response to her, Mesmer Jr. slightly raised her eyebrows.

"It's my duty. Now, can you leave me alone?"

Her words were still nonchalant as always. However, Vertin knew that she just enjoyed the tranquility without being disturbed by any existence.

It was the way she rested as well as kept her mind alert in front of those crazy patients.

If she didn't find a way to protect her mind, one day she would become insane like the ones she treated everyday.

Vertin remained silent and sat on the bed. Despite what Mesmer Jr. just said, she decided to stay here until the remaining time ran out.

As if annoyed by her presence, the girl with short brown hair finally talked.

"Oh, what do you want?"

"Nothing." The gray-haired girl shook her head, "I will leave when the time comes."

Watching her back, Mesmer Jr. didn't know why she recalled the prominent scars that she accidentally saw a few years ago.

They were the result of countless experiments to create a body that could withstand the Storm.

No healing abilities could make it fade, yet that girl never complained a word.

Why? She once asked herself.

If it were her, she would have given up already.

"Time's up."

The gray-haired girl opened her pocket watch.

"Goodbye, Mesmer Jr."

The door opened and closed.

Goodbye.

A reply that couldn't come out of the throat and continued to stay in one's mind.

Tonight, still no miracle happened, so did her dreams.