Mesmer Jr. & Vertin: I forgive you (4)

Just one step back and I will have an excuse to reach to you

—-------

Children's hearts are vulnerable. They easily get broken again and again, until they learn how to seal themselves from the outside world.

We used to stick our hearts' fragments with joy and happiness, but these emotions weren't something that lasted long.

"How about a promise?"

"As long as you can prove that you're able to fulfill it."

—-------

After that day, Vertin's behavior towards Mesmer Jr. has changed.

When they passed by the hall of Laplace, Vertin now greeted her with words.

"Good afternoon, Mesmer Jr."

Of course, the other person didn't reply as usual.

As if what had happened the other day didn't exist at all.

Still, Vertin knew there was a new step of improvement in their relationship.

She treasured that change, but getting close too quickly would make that girl feel uncomfortable.

Therefore, beginning with a small gesture like greeting with words would be better.

Today, they accidentally shared the same elevator.

"Good evening, Mesmer Jr."

There was no response from Mesmer Jr. just as she expected.

They kept a distance between each other inside the narrow space, with Vertin at the top left, while Mesmer Jr. at the bottom right.

That was the furthest distance that two people could have in an elevator.

Furthermore, they also went to the same floor as well.

As the bell rang and the automatic door opened, both of them immediately spotted a tall shadow reflected on the wall with murmuring sounds from a hoarse voice.

Soon, a groggy figure in the patient's white outfit and a steel hat showed up at the corner.

A patient had escaped.

That thought appeared in their mind at the same time.

"I'm...hahaha...not... crazy..."

"My daughter... my dear daughter..."

"Explode... like... fireworks..."

The man stretched his hands, as if trying to grab an imaginary small figure in the air.

"Shhh... Don't be scared..."

"I definitely collect... all of your pieces..."

"Stick them together..."

"So please... don't cry..."

Then, with a wrinkled face soaked in tears and a runny nose, he turned his sight to Vertin and Mesmer Jr., who were staying alert about his presence.

In a blink of an eye, the eyeballs covered by red blood threads widened, showing furiousness.

"DON'T DARE TO STOP ME!"

The automatic door of the elevator that was about to close after Vertin pushed the button, stopped moving instantly.

Mesmer Jr.'s calm face turned pale a little.

"His Arcane Skill was to control electric appliances."

Her voice seemed unease, while her fingers tightened on the EM Detector.

"Is your treating equipment run by electricity too?"

Vertin slowly came out of the elevator while watching every movement of the insane arcanist that was staring at them scarily.

"Yes, I'm temporarily useless now."

The red-brown haired girl knitted her eyebrows, gradually controlling her quick breathing.

She didn't bring her gun along, since she thought it wouldn't take more than 3 minutes to collect her forgotten notebook on this floor.

Now she regretted.

'I will never leave the gun out of my reach anymore.'

Mesmer Jr. decided that she would begin her tenth disinfection today when she returned.

"The area he can activate his Arcane Skill is limited."

"There's an alarm bell behind the exit door. Push it and the staff will handle the rest."

Mesmer Jr. knew this place like the back of her hand due to the countless times she entered this floor to cure the patients.

Every appliance to every substance the staff placed in each room, she had recorded them in her mind.

Just a wrong position of anything could easily make her lose her calm.

"You go first."

The gray-haired girl's back wasn't big enough to cover her, yet it was sturdy and reliable.

"Heroic actions won't bring you back anything."

She didn't know why but she was a bit angry.

"I know."

That girl was still as arrogant as ever.

"You know this place better than me. I trust you can do it faster too."

'Don't act like you know anything about me.'

As complicated emotions rose inside her heart, her attention changed as well.