The Vanishing Glass

*Hannah's P.O.V*

“UP!” came our Aunt’s voice “GET UP! NOW!”

Someone rapped on the door furiously and I heard a lock slide back. An angry bang on the door sounded again and then I heard Aunt Petunia’s footsteps fade away as she walked into the kitchen. I sat up reluctantly. Her shrill voice was, and will always be, the first annoying sound of the day.  

 Let me introduce myself, I’m Hannah Potter and I’m ten years old. I have black curly hair, green eyes and the thing I love most about my appearance: a scar on the palm of my right hand. It’s really cool because it’s shaped like a lightning bolt. I’m skinny, I have knobbly knees and a thin face, much like my twin brother, called Harry Potter. He has green eyes, messy black hair, and he wears a pair of broken glasses which I repaired (to my best efforts) with tape. Harry also has a scar although unlike mine, his sits on his forehead. He, too, likes this best about his appearance. Apparently, we both got them in a car crash that happened when we were little. I remember asking Aunt Petunia, but she wouldn’t let me ask any more questions. Not to ask questions is the first rule to a quiet life with our relatives.

 I get on really well with Harry. Not like most brothers and sisters, fighting all the time about small things and practically tearing each other’s hair out. We have to because of the tragic accident that happened when we were little, that made us to come to live with the Dursleys.

 The Dursleys are our perfectly horrible relatives: our Aunt Petunia, who has twice the amount of neck and has a shrill voice (that you already know) ; It brings us to the truth of "opposites attract" because our Uncle Vernon has no neck. He also has greying hair and small piggy eyes and then there’s Dudley, our cousin. Dudley is practically a smaller version of Uncle Vernon. No neck, more than twice the size than me and Harry are and those blue eyes. But Dudley has blond hair. Dudley is also our bully and the reason why Harry and I have no friends at school; everyone is scared of him and him gang.

 “Harry,” I said thickly “Come on we got to get up.” I rubbed my eyes and switched on the light. Harry groaned and then sat up too, shielding his eyes from the light momentarily. He grabbed his round glasses then searched for socks with difficulty; there wasn’t much room.

“I was having a good dream,” I murmured half-asleep “I think it was about a motorbike…”

 “Do twins usually have the same-“Harry started to say but Aunt Petunia cut him off.

“Are you two up yet?” she yelled knocking on the door yet again.

 “Maybe,” I mumbled “I mean nearly!”

That was so, so close! If I did start screaming insults or random things at her, which I was tempted to do so right now so I clamped my hand over my mouth, she’d kill me.

“Well hurry up, I’m frying bacon and I don’t want it to burn,” she snapped “I want everything perfect on Dudley’s birthday!” As soon as she said the last two words, we groaned. Dudley’s birthday. The worst phrase ever, especially due to our “luck”.

“WHAT DID YOU SAY?” she screeched

 “We said nothing!” I said hastily “We said absolutely nothing!” As soon as her footsteps died away again, we looked at each other.

“How could we forget?” said Harry, looking horrified.

Anybody would feel and look horrified if your last name isn’t Dursley. I’d prefer it to be our birthday even though it’s always completely ignored by the Dursleys. Well not completely ignored, we do get some present - if you could call it that. We recently got for our birthdays a toothpick, a coat hanger, Uncle Vernon’s old socks and… oh yeah Aunt Petunia’s old socks. Charming presents to give on birthdays!