Chapter Fourteen: Zane's P.O.V

Chad raped me. Those three words replay over and over again. I should have known. I should have fucking known.

That's why she's been so upset. SHE WAS SCREAMING FOR HELP.

The night of the party. I WAS RIGHT THERE.

"Seren i'm so sorry." I cry kneeling besides her. I kiss her hands and she grunts in response.

I promised myself no one would ever hurt her again. Chad was a dead man walking. I would never let her out of my sight again.

"Mom." I say quietly and I can hear the crack in my voice. "Zane? What is it my love?" Melanie asks immediately rushing to me. "I need to tell you something." I say. "Of course honey. What is it?" She asks. "Mom weeks ago, the last beach party at the house something bad happened to Seren." I cry. "Zane what is it? What happened to Seren?" She asks. "C-Chad Brookeman has been harassing her since she moved here. He really likes her but she doesn't like him. He won't leave her alone and Seren just told me." I break down. "Told you what Zane? That he's bothering her?" She asks. "He raped her mom. She just told me." I cry. "Seren told you that Chad raped her?" Melanie repeats. I nod. "She's high but she wouldn't lie mom. This is why she's been so upset. I was right there mom. I love her more than life itself and I've failed her. And that fucking party tonight we brought her to it and he was there." I cry. She hugs me tightly. "Zane you did not fail her. That boy is a monster." She says. I nod. "So what now?" I ask. "I don't know love we will figure it out in the morning." She sighs. I nod again. "I want you to just stay with her for now." She tells me. "Okay I will." I say.

I wipe my eyes and head back upstairs. "Zane." She slurs. "It's just me beautiful." I tell her. "Lock them." She says. "I know Sere. The doors are locked and i'm here now, nobody is going to hurt you." I say kissing her softly. She closes her eyes again and I sit on the arm chair.

She would be okay, I was going to make sure of it.