☼ s e v e n t e e n ☼

/// ATTENTION: look at michael's adams apple. that is all ///

We stared at each other for what felt like forever.

He scrutinized my probably bright red face, his eyebrows scrunched together. His green eyes took in every single inch of my face, from my eyes behind my glasses to my nose, to my lips and bleached blonde hair peeking out from under my hood. I gulped, trying not to panic. My hand left the mouse and fell into my lap as my eyes started to tear up. This was not how I expected to tell him.

"Who are you?" He suddenly asked. But I stayed quiet, not wanting to answer.

"Oh for fucks sake," I heard Ashton blurt out. "It's Mae!"

"No," Michael said immediately, shaking his head. "Mae doesn't... She-"

"It's her, mate," Ashton snapped. I ducked my head down again, biting my lip so hard that I started to taste blood.

"Say something," Michael demanded and I shook my head.

"Say something!" I shook my head again and Michael dropped the phone on the table.

"God dammit speak!"

"She's not a dog," Ashton pointed out, annoyance lacing his voice.

"Is she a fucking mute? Fucking say something!"

"What do you want me to say, Michael? I fucked up, okay? I'm an idiot and I lied and I fucked up!"

Michael laughed loudly and sarcastically. "Right!"

Ashton picked up his phone, giving me a sympathetic look when he saw I had started crying.

"Mae-"

"No," Michael snatched the phone, his face red with anger. "I fucking trusted you and you lied! I can't believe I was legitimately starting to fall for you. Fuck you! Fuck. You!"

"I'm sorry, okay?!" I shouted back. He scoffed.

"You think a petty little sorry is enough to fix this?"

"No! Of course it's fucking not! I know it's not, but I don't know what else to say."

"Maybe, oh I don't know, start with an explanation?"

"I don't have one! I'm a stupid little insecure girl."

"That's your best excuse?" He snorted. "Jesus fucking Christ, this is brilliant."

"Fine. Fine! You want the truth? I fucking hate myself, okay? I'm fucking trapped in this little dark hole that I dug myself in cause of a stupid ex-boyfriend and I'm having a really hard fucking time trying to get out. I'm sorry I hate how I look and I honestly would not blame you for hating a fat, worthless sack of shit like me. I just..." My bottom lip quivered as I stared at Michael. "I'm fucked up."

Michael stayed quiet for a minute, and when he spoke, his voice was calm.

"I think I need some space."

And he hung up.

///////

(a/n)

oh god what have i done

this is literally shorter than the worlds smallest dick and this could have been written better and i'm so sorry i am a POS i kno just bear with me

PSA: michael is going to be dying his hair soon and I am not physically mentally or emotionally ready for it (but I hope he dyes it red again tbh)

❤️don't be a silent reader❤️