☼ s i x t y - f i v e ☼

[Michael]

"Wait, we're not staying here?"

"No, we're going to the beach."

"But there's no beach in Atlanta?"

"Right, we're going to a beach in a different state."

"Oh."

I twiddled my thumbs as Ash drove us to said beach. I had no idea why the hell he was randomly taking me to the beach but I figured it was an attempt to make me happy, so I didn't argue.

I wasn't necessarily sad, I just felt a little... empty. I didn't know what to believe. I wanted to believe Mae, that none of it was true and she didn't do all of those horrible things, but some naggy small shadow in the back of my head was screaming at me that I needed to believe it. That Mae wasn't some amazing girl I thought she was, and of course I beat myself up over it.

"How long is the drive?" I asked quietly. Ashton hummed.

"'Bout an hour and 45 minutes?" He replied, tapping the steering wheel along to the song that played on the radio. I nodded and decided to get comfy.

"I think I'm just going to take a nap," I yawned, bunching up my hoodie and using it as a pillow. I leaned against the window. "I haven't slept much."

"Sleep then mate. I'll wake you up when we get there."

I was out within a few seconds, and of course I dreamt about her.

----

Ashton woke me up by shaking my shoulder lightly.

"Huh?" I mumbled, wiping the drool off of my chin.

"Wakey wakey sleeping beauty."

I yawned and rubbed my eyes, taking in my surroundings. We were parked under the deck of what I assumed to be a beach house. I couldn't see much.

"We're not staying at a hotel?" I asked in a hoarse voice while removing my seat belt. I stepped out of the car, breathing in the salty air while stretching my arms above me.

"Figured a house would be a little more private," he told me, stretching his arms as well. I pursed my lips and nodded; the last thing I wanted right now was to have cameras and phones shoved in my face.

"Who's house is it?" I asked, trying to look out the window to see it.

"A- uh," he stuttered and I looked at him. "It's a friend's place."

I nodded again. In all honestly I wanted to go home. I wanted to lie in my bed, watching sappy romantic movies while I pouted and ate too much ice cream. I wanted to sleep for unreasonable hours so I didn't have to think, only to be haunted by her in my dreams.

But, I appreciated what Ashton was trying to do. I didn't want to be here but it honestly made me feel a little better.

"Up for something to eat?" Ash asked from the other side of the car. I shrugged.

"I think I'm gonna go down there for a few," I nodded towards the beach. "I'll get my stuff later."

"I can bring it in," he offered, reaching for my bags in the back. I shook my head.

"Thanks, but I can do it."

I closed the car door and Ashton mumbled a "if you say so" as I made my way down the drive way and towards the beach. The sun was starting to set, creating a beautiful yellow and orange sky that wrapped around the ocean.