Chapter 28 - The Messy Phone Call

I decided that it would be a waste of time to ring Marie back to explain, not that I cared; so instead I decided to use my time and ring Molly, Jack's eldest sister. We were quite good friends after all. 

I held my breath as I rang.  "Hello?" Her elegant voice called from the other end. 

"Molly, hi. It's Regan." 

"Hey Rae." She laughed at the rhyme. "How are things?" 

"Not too bad." I put on a cheery tone, lying. "And you?" 

"Oh great actually, me and some friends went on a road trip and it was so fun, it was also my first time and-" She started rambling on about the road trip which I wasn't particularly interested in. Finally, when she finished I began again. 

"Hey, uhm. Is Jack with you at the moment?" I suddenly said, trying to sound as casual as possible. 

There was a pause.

"With me? Surely he's at work? He's not with me." 

My heart sank. "Oh no, he has a day off today." I lied again. "He wouldn't be with Laura, would he?" I suggested, referring to Jack's other elder sister. 

"No, I know she's at her boyfriends." 

"Just, I think his phone's dead and I need to ask him something." I continued with the lies.

 Molly gasped. "Are you proposing...?" 

 "What? No! ... No, I'm not proposing!" I sounded horrified. "The guy always proposes anyway... Well.. Not always actually, but..." I trailed off. "Never mind."

 "Maybe he's proposing to you!" Molly gasped once more. 

"What?!"

"Yeah! He's buying a ring right now and he won't answer your calls because he doesn't want you to find out what he's up to!" She beamed. 

I laughed uncomfortably. "I highly doubt that..." 

"Can I come wedding shopping with you?" 

"Mol! Molly!" I laughed half-heartedly. "Don't worry, I'm sure he'll turn up later." I said in a reassuring voice, though I knew it didn't reassure me at all. 

 After Molly and I ended the unhelpful call I returned to slumping down at the kitchen table, contemplating on how I was gonna sort this mess out. 

A/N: Aghhh after so many requests for updates here I am guys!! And guess what I'm uploading 2 more chapters right now!!!!!! :)))