Interns

Before you could start teaching Owen your ways, you had to finish showing him around.  As you walked around the facility, you visited all the staff areas, and you introduced Owen to everyone you met along the way. For some reason, your little display with your raptors had made Owen trust you a little more. He had even started asking you questions.

"What brought you to the island?" he asked you suddenly as you two were walking towards the final stop on your tour, the brand new workers quarters.

You paused for a moment to really consider the question yourself. You honestly didn't have a definitive reason.

"I was a trainer here before you, but I left because I wanted to focus on other things for a while. I really missed the place, and despite what has happened, I want this place to be somewhere families can learn and enjoy. So, I agreed to come back as long as the park would be rebuilt more securely." You told him.

It was the only thing you could think of as a reason behind you being back here. Owen nodded slowly, and then his eyes became concerned.

"The lab staff aren't thinking of creating any more things like the Indominous Rex, are they?" he asked.

"I highly doubt it, not after what happened last time. So we've been working on making our carnivores less deadly, not more."

You offered him as much of a reassuring smile as you could muster. But, honestly, there was no way for you to know for sure if they really were or not. Finally, the heaviness in the air began to fade as you arrived at the staff living quarters.

"And this is where you'll be living, Mr Grady," You said with a smile, gesturing around, "Each room comes with an en-suite bathroom, so you won't have to share."

He nodded and glanced at the many doors.

"You are room 318," You told him, handing him his key and leading him to the room down the hall, "and I'm room 317, right opposite if you need me. They apparently thought it was better to have the trainers as close as possible without forcing them to share a room." You joked.

Owen smirked mischievously at your joke, which made your face redden a little.

"The cleaners should have brought your luggage into your room, so when you're done unpacking, just knock on my door, and we'll go to lunch. Once lunch is over, I can start showing you the ropes. I understand you've worked here in the past, but some things are a bit different now." You told him.

Owen nodded and headed into his room. You fumbled for your key and opened your door, ducking inside and closing it behind you. This was proving to be quite an enjoyable day so far.

About an hour later, there was a knock on your door. You opened it to see Owen standing there, leaning against the doorframe. He was rather tall now that you looked at him.

"Ready for lunch?" He asked you.

"I'm going to be honest with you; I'm always ready for lunch." You laughed softly.

You stepped out of your room and locked it behind you. You led the way to the lunch hall as Owen walked closely behind you. He was walking so close you could feel the heat radiating from his body. You swiped your card to open the lunch hall and paused,

"Right, I almost forgot. We'll have to go pick up your Clearance ID Card soon." You said with a grin.

Owen nodded, and you both stepped inside the hall. You walked over to the counter and ordered your usual meal, fish and chips. Owen stared at the new menu for a moment before just ordering the same as you; clearly, he didn't care what he ate. You waited at the counter, and then both took your meals.

"There's a special table dedicated for trainers," You say with a laugh, "It was pretty lonely sitting there on my own.".

Owen followed you over and sat opposite you.

"They have tables depending on what department you work in?" Owen asked.

"Yeah, it's pretty odd, but Miss Yates likes it that way. Oh, Miss Yates is our manager; her father owns the park now. You haven't met her yet; she was probably too busy ordering people about through her headpiece to make an appearance." You told Owen.

He nodded thoughtfully, and then you both began to eat.

Just as you had finished your meal, your earpiece made a painful screeching noise, causing you to jump from your seat and near rip it from your ear. Owen looked shocked; apparently, he had heard the noise from opposite you.

"Miss (Y/N), Indigo is testing the new intern!" echoed loudly down your earpiece.

You abandoned your table and dashed out of the lunchroom, your legs moving as fast as they could. You needed to get to Indigo. She wouldn't hurt him, you knew that, but she might shake him up so badly he'd need therapy. You turned the corner and heard footsteps behind you, matching your speed. You knew it was Owen; nobody else dared follow you when you ran. Left, right, left, left, right. You knew where Indigo was; she always bullied the poor interns there. You approached the corridor where you knew she was and stopped dead. It was probably mean of you, but you had a hard time controlling your laughter. Indigo had the new intern, Liam, hung upside down by the belt on his jeans. Indigo had his pants gripped tightly in her mouth. He was dangling a foot in the air. Indigo was lifting up and down to the point that his face almost touched the floor. You took a deep breath so you could hold back your laughter.

"Indigo. Drop him." You ordered.

Indigo's head whipped around to look at you, inadvertently whipping Liam around too and making him yelp. Indigo lowered him to the floor, face-first, and then dropped his legs too.

"Liam, I'm very sorry about Indigo's behaviour. She likes to test the new interns. If you tell her off, she'll listen." You told him gently.

Liam got to his feet. His knees were visibly shaking.

"I'm sorry." You apologised again.

Liam didn't say a word; he just bolted down the corridor back towards the break room.

"Oh Indigo, that's the third intern this week! Just because they're young doesn't mean they're playthings!" You told the raptor whose eyes looked very amused.

"So she does this often?" You heard Owen ask from behind you.

You turned to look at him and smirked.

"Only if Sapphire or I are not around to keep her in line. She's the mischievous one. Sapphire is calm and gentle."

Owen laughed for the first time since he set foot on the island.

"You know, I'm actually beginning to like this place."