Bruised

You walked closer to Gold's cage. 

"Gold..." You whispered, pressing your hand to the bars.

Gold snorted at you through the bars and gave a little growl sound. Then his huge eyes shifted to just behind you. He gave an almighty roar, which shook the room.

"What is it, boy?"

As you turned around, you caught the distinctive features of someone you knew all too well. A pain jabbed your neck, and you realised that it was a needle. Then you felt a congealed liquid flood your veins.

"You shouldn't be snooping around, pretty lady." He whispered silkily in your ear.

It made you sick. You elbowed him in the face and staggered out of the restricted building. You made it only halfway back before the injection took effect, and your legs gave out, sending you face-first into the ground. You gasped a little as the fall winded you. You tried to drag yourself forwards, but your arms became numb. Soon blackness washed over you like a wave and swallowed you.

You woke up in the hospital. As your blurry eyes adjusted to the light, a familiar face greeted your eyes. Owen was sitting next to your bed, worry creasing his face. You went to sit up but felt a hand press you back down. You were glad of it, actually, since just moving a small amount had already given you a head rush. Owen's hand remained on your chest for a moment to make sure you didn't try to get up again and then removed it.

"How are you feeling?" He asked; his voice was soft and concerned.

He moved the chair around, so it faced you, jostling the closed curtains around your bed.

"Like hell." You said with a smile.

It was true. Your head hurt like crazy, your neck throbbed, and you felt sick. Owen chuckled softly, and then his face turned serious.

"What were you doing outside in the middle of the night?" he asked.

You flushed a little and went to sit up again. Owen pushed you back down, making you grunt in annoyance.

"I went out for a little walk. I was going stir-crazy." You muttered.

It wasn't strictly untrue.

"You don't need to lie to me," Owen said, trying to make his voice sound as soft as possible.

You bit your lip, wondering if you should tell him or not. Owen sighed softly.

"You were visiting the restricted building, weren't you?" he asked.

You nodded slowly.

"B-but I saw something." You croaked.

Owen's eyes widened.

"What?" he asked.

You glanced around and then very slowly sat up; Owen let you this time. You waved your hand, and he scooted his chair forwards even more, so it touched the side of the bed and then leant his ear in near your mouth.

"I saw him feeding." You whispered.

Owen turned his head to look at you, his eyes wide.

"What? Did you see who?" He asked.

He turned his ear back to you.

"I didn't see him exactly. I mean, I did, but then... I can't remember what happened or what he looked like. I just know that he grabbed me, then I felt a pain in my neck, so I elbowed him in the face and ran. But the important thing is... A metal rectangle came out of the ground inside the cage, and when it opened, an intern fell out." You whispered breathlessly.

Your lips brushed against his ear on the last few words. He gave an involuntary shudder as a tingle ran down his spine. You saw the effect, and it amused you. He seemed to notice your smugness; he turned to look at you one more, totally shocked by your statement. You were in the middle of trying to say something when Owen heard footsteps coming closer. As the curtain opened, Owen sprang forwards and slammed his lips to yours to shut you up. When you saw Jim standing in the parted curtain with wide eyes, you thumped Owen's back gently with your hand. He pulled back from you, trying to hide his triumphant smirk. He'd been looking for an excuse to do that again.

Much to Owen's irritation, Jim had stayed and questioned you for a whole fifteen minutes. Owen sat in the chair with his arms folded, rolling his eyes every so often when Jim made one of his usual flirty remarks. At one point, Jim got a little too close to you for comfort, and Owen's hand seized his shoulder, violently yanking him back. At the moment he did, Jim's hair whipped up from his eyes, and you saw a large bruise on his forehead. It looked fresh. You gasped, and Jim's eyes flashed dangerously. A warning for you to keep your mouth shut. Jim growled something at Owen before he left quickly. Owen rammed the curtain back shut and took a deep breath to calm himself.

"I've never liked that guy." He hissed.

You gave a small smile.

"Me either." You whispered.

"What?" Owen asked, unable to catch what you had said.

"Oh, nothing." You told him.

He nodded slowly and sat down on the chair again.

"Now... Before we were interrupted." He murmured.

His lips came dangerously close to your face, but he stopped about an inch away just to tease you. His lips drew close to your ear.

"What were you saying?" He whispered.

His breath tickled your ear, and you shivered a little.

"Someone's been feeding Gold. On interns." You said breathlessly, "And I don't think they're in it alone."

Owen took in a sharp breath, his hand found you'd, and he squeezed it lightly.

"We need to find out who they are."