The Basics

After the little incident with Liam, you and Owen had rounded up the two raptors and brought them to the training arena that had been specially built for you.

"I suppose we should go over the basics." You told Owen as you circled him.

Both Sapphire and Indigo joined in on circling Owen. It probably looked menacing to anyone who walked by. Almost as if you were about to set the two raptors on him.

"You know how to train, yes. But my method is a little different," You told him, finally stopping in front of him, "The first step is communication. Sure, raptors are smart enough to learn some human words, but I found out, they can flawlessly learn a language you create. I'll demonstrate."

You turned to face Sapphire. A series of clicking and whistles escaped your mouth. Sapphire seemed to be listening intently. She turned around and picked up a ball from the floor, then hurtled down the training area and threw it into a hoop at the end.

"You trained them to play basketball?" Owen questioned, seemingly amused.

"Indeed I did, Mr Grady." You smirked.

"Call me Owen." He insisted.

"Alright then. The reason I taught them basketball, is to build trust.".

Owen looked thoughtful, a smile on his lips.

"I understand, and I suppose since you raised them as their mother, they have an even deeper bond with you. I think the language you've created is interesting.".

You weren't sure if that last statement was a compliment or not.

"If you want to learn the language system to communicate with Indigo and Sapphire, I can start teaching it to you after work." You offered.

Owen nodded slowly, "Sounds good.".

His arms were still folded across his chest. He didn't trust your raptors yet, and you didn't blame him for that.

You spent a few more hours showing Owen your methods. It was mainly just teaching him the basketball command. You had him learn how to mimic your clicking and then let him ask Indigo to do it. Before she had obeyed him, she circled him and sniffed him some more to reassure herself Owen wasn't going to hurt her or you. You parted ways with the raptors when the end of work bell rang.

"Indigo seems to like you." You told Owen with a smile.

"I hope that's not because she's thinking of her next dinner." Owen joked.

You laughed at that.

"I doubt it. Indigo has a sensitive stomach. She only eats chicken, she gets sick if she eats other meats. She's the only one the other staff don't fear. Well, that's not including the interns." You told him.

Owen chuckled at the memory of the poor boy's face. Owen had taken a liking to the mischievous dinosaur. You thought their personalities matched well.

"It's the end of the day workers shift, so we can go now." You told him.

"I don't know about you, but I'm exhausted," Owen complained.

"I'm not surprised. You had a long flight Mr Gra- I mean Owen." You said, correcting yourself.

 "You're not tired?" Owen asked curiously.

"Not really. Although I do have a sleeping problem sometimes." You admitted with a frown.

 "Well, let's go grab something to eat and maybe it'll help you sleep," Owen suggested.

"I doubt it." You sighed, but agreed to go anyway.

You both ended up back in the lunch room. Owen had a sandwich and you had an omelet with a decaf pot of tea. You both were in silence for a while before Owen piped up.

"When did you find the raptor eggs?" He asked.

"I went out on a field mission to log which dinosaurs had been killed by the Indominous Rex. We were launching our cleanup operation at the time, recovering bodies and incinerating them and burying them. I found five eggs whilst looking for bodies. Unfortunately, we found a raptor dying a few feet away. She'd seemingly only recently laid the eggs. Something had smashed three clean open, but two were intact. I persuaded the team to let me take them and raise them. We set up an emergency incubation area in the laboratory since we hadn't rebuilt our hatchery yet, and I kept them safe until they hatched. The builders managed to finish the nursery by that time, and we had a special area to raise the two." You told him softly.

He seemed intrigued.

"How do they get around the building? I thought that all of the doors have clearance card slots?" he asked.

You smirked and gulped down the last of your tea, then got up and ushered him after you. You led him to a door across the hall and pointed just below the clearance card slot.

"The raptor equivalent of a fingerprint scanner."

"That is pretty damn cool." Owen chuckled, examining it.

"I've got to get the raptors to bed. Do you want to help?"

"Sure, I'm up for it," Owen replied with a grin.

You went off to search for the raptors.

You found Indigo and Sapphire prowling outside the intern's rooms, clearly looking for trouble.

 "Indigo, sapphire, bed time." You ordered.

They both ignored you, as usual. You folded your arms and made a serious of angry clicking noises. Indigo roared back at you.

"Hey, cut the crap." You growled, clicking again.

Sapphire looked at you intently and then bumped her sister, telling her off. You turned and started walking next to Owen.

"They always make a fuss at first." You told him with a laugh.

"Indigo's pretty feisty." He commented with a grin.

You nodded in agreement. Suddenly Indigo was beside you and shoving you.

"What's wrong with you?" You asked curiously.

Indigo gave one more shove and you toppled sideways. Owen reached out and caught you before you hit the floor.

"Woah, are you alright?" He asked you.

You nodded slowly, he helped you up, and you brushed yourself off.

"Indigo, what's gotten into you?" You sighed.

Indigo's eyes sparkled with amusement.

"Alright, you've had your fun. Bedtime." You ordered.

The raptors trotted off, and you followed them with Owen. You watched as Sapphire pressed her claws against the scanner and the door to the raptor habitat slid open. They both hurried inside and the door slid shut.

"Can they open it from in there too?" Owen asked you.

"No, we open it for them in the morning. I think people fear Sapphire might get a little hungry for a midnight snack when she knows that I'm sleeping." You laughed, though it was true.

Owen chuckled and looked through the glass partition in the door, watching the raptors scurry around in their habitat.

"It's getting late." You said with a slight yawn.

Owen nodded and you both decided to head back to the staff living quarters. You stood opposite Owen at the end of the corridor. He fumbled with his key and opened his door.

"Goodnight, (y/n)," Owen said with a small smile.

"Goodnight, Owen." You murmured, before he went into his room and shut the door.

You went into your own room and got ready for bed. Then, for the first time in a long time, you slept through the whole night.