Escape

By the time Owen had carried your unconscious body to the old building, his back was aching, as were his knees and arms. It would have been easy to carry you normally, but the uneven terrain and the awkward position your body hung in took its toll faster than it should have. The walk had taken around two hours. Double the time it should have. Maria had to calm a fussing Lily on more than one occasion, so she didn't attract any carnivores looking for an easy meal. A baby was perfect, defenceless prey.

The old building was looking even worse for wear than it had before. Owen and Maria had no idea where to go after they reached the building. You were the one who knew where everything would be. Owen gently lay you down on the ground and checked your vitals for the thirtieth time since you passed out. His brows had been creasing more and more with worry. It was when he checked for the thirty-first time that he noticed you gently stir at his touch. His heart skipped a beat when you opened your eyes and gazed at him.

"(Y/N)?" He asked gently, lightly touching your face.

A smile slowly appeared on your lips.

"Owen..." You breathed.

You were feeling awful. Your head felt foggy, your eyes hurt, and your whole body was still in pain, but it was more bearable than before. Owen helped you to your feet and helped you to lean against him. You thanked him gently and took a deep breath. 

"Where do we go?" Maria asked as she cradled Lily in her arms.

"Follow me..." You croaked hoarsely as you led them inside and down a dingy, tight-fitting corridor.

Finally, you reached a door at the end of the hall. Owen reached to open it, but you stopped him gently and redirected him to the door above you. Owen examined it for a moment and then pushed open the hatch. A ladder unfolded in front of you. You went first, helped up by Owen, who then passed Lily up and helped Maria. By the time you were all upstairs, you had an idea of where your mother had worked secretly.

The attic around you was dark and mouldy, but a steel door in the corner looked clinical and rather well maintained. Owen helped you over as you told Maria to wait with Lily. The door was unlocked, as you found out when it simply swung open when Owen touched it. Inside was a complicated setup of consoles, monitors and flashing lights. There were wires everywhere and multiple switches and levers.

"We're never going to figure this out..!" You gasped.

You and Owen made your way over, checking everything on the console. Some things were labelled by the majority were not. It was a complicated mess that hurt your brain just looking at it.

"How my mother got anything done, I'll never know." You snorted irritably.

"How about this?" Owen asked. You turned around and saw he was leering over a large red button in a glass case labelled 'DANGER'.

"That's too obvious." You muttered, shaking your head, but Owen had already flipped open the glass casing.

"Obvious is good." Owen declared as he slammed the button with his fist.

The whole room shook violently, and your ears hurt from a blaring alarm that sounded out. The lights on the consoles shut off, and the only thing displayed on the monitor was a countdown and a map of the park. The map was covered with tiny red dots moving about rapidly. Your hands were clamped so tightly over your ears that you barely heard Owen say your name. There was suddenly light in the room, and you looked around to realise that the shaking had begun to cave in the roof around you.

"Run!" Owen yelled, grabbing your wrist.

The last thing you saw of the room was the red dots beginning to go out on the screen and areas of the map turning blue.