Ledge

Your eyes flashed open as you felt a sickening falling feeling. You saw the air whizzing around you for what could only have been seconds but felt like minutes. Then you felt something soft under you. Your eyes finally focused on what was going on; you could see that the soft thing was Owen, and he had wrapped his arms around you as protection. You were on a ledge near the waterfall.

"Owen?" You whispered shakily.

His eyes were closed.

"Owen?"

He wasn't moving.

"Oh god." You gasped, starting to shake violently.

You two hadn't fallen that far, right? You leant your head down to listen for breathing.

"ROAR!"

"AAAAAH!"

You jolted backwards and hit your back against the cliff.

"Woah, calm down!" Owen stammered.

"THAT WAS A HORRIBLE JOKE." You screeched, your eyes welling up.

Owen looked completely guilty as he sat up and wiped one of the tears from your cheek.

"I am so sorry."

You shook your heard lightly and took a few breaths to calm yourself.

"How are we holding up, hey?" he asked gently, placing a hand on your stomach.

"I'm just hoping everything is alright. All this running isn't good for the baby." You replied quietly.

You sat that, cradling your bump, as Owen searched for a safe way off of the ledge.

Owen circled the large area for a while, examining the rock face and looking at the ledges above and below. It was eventually determined that you should probably try climbing down. Owen found a ledge that wasn't too far down and jumped first. You were shocked when he did, worried about how you would get down there.

"Jump!" Owen called.

Was he crazy? No more jumping. Not with the baby to worry about.

"Just jump; I'll catch you!"

It wasn't that you didn't trust him; it was that you were sure, with your luck, that you'd fall just out of his reach and plummet to your death. You had to jump. If you didn't get down, you'd probably starve on the ledge, so you swung your legs over the side and slipped off of the rock. Owen caught you, as he promised, and you gave a huge sigh of relief. Owen set you down and lightly kissed your forehead.

"Everything's going to be fine. I promise." He whispered.

You nodded. This time you both started looking for a way down.

It took a few hours, but you both made it to the bottom of the cliff. The waterfall was crashing down beside you, giving off a lovely cooling spray on such a hot day. You bent down beside the water and splashed your face lightly. Owen crouched beside you and did the same.

"Where do we go from here?" you asked him, biting your lip.

"We could try going back to 'base' or we could try to get to the port and call for help on the radio," Owen murmured.

You considered for a moment.

"If we go to the radio, It could save everyone."

"It'll be dangerous," Owen warned.

"There are hundreds of huge carnivorous dinosaurs loose. It's going to be dangerous no matter what we do." You said, folding your arms.

He nodded and, after a few more minutes of getting your bearings, you set off.

The walk to the dock would take hours. You knew that. But you didn't know how hard it would be on your feet. They were already swollen, and there was no pain-numbing adrenalin pumping through your body to help. You both walked in silence, completely consumed in thought. You broke the silence a few minutes later.

"Why do they keep doing this? None of these parks have ever worked." You sighed.

"Money," Owen grunted back.

You hadn't actually thought about the money aspect before, but it was true. The owners must make millions of dollars between park meltdowns.

"So it's never gonna stop, huh? They'll always want money." You murmured.

Owen frowned.

"Maybe, or maybe not, but every time they do this, they'll loose more innocent lives and gain a worse reputation. Eventually, the people will stop coming."

"I suppose so. I just don't want any more lives to be lost." You muttered.

"Me either."

You were getting exhausted now.

"Can we rest for a bit?" You asked him.

Owen nodded and found a shady tree to sit under. It wasn't exactly safe, but it would have to do.