Managers

Your brief moment of happiness was over too soon. Your shift ended, and everyone was called to the meeting room by Jim. You and Owen took a seat next to each other; you were nervously biting your lip and looking around the room. Owen gently took your hand and gave it a reassuring squeeze. You tried to relax. Neither of you liked Jim upon discovering what he did. You subconsciously scratched at the hole in your neck that the needle had left.

"Now, if everybody is here..." Jim said suddenly.

You snapped your attention back to him.

"The park re-opens tomorrow morning. We have secured the fences, fixed the rides and trained the raptors. We're ready!" he cheered.

You looked at Owen; relief flooded your face for just a second before it paled.

"We have, of course, prepared a new attraction. Following through with Miss Yates previous plans before the... unfortunate incident, we have engineered a few new friends. Firstly, meet our Gigasceratops..."

He gestured to the screen, and a live feed came up of a massive Triceratops. It stalked around a large leafy pen for a moment before its head turned and looked directly at the camera. It roared. You flinched into Owen, and he growled a little.

"Next, I'd like everyone to meet our Mortisaurus," Jim said as he changed the picture.

The thing you saw scared you. Gold. Somehow, he'd been moved into another pen in the space of one night.

"Morti... Isn't that Latin for death?" someone piped up in the room.

There was a collective grumble before Jim ordered everyone to be quiet.

"Yes, it is. Our Mortisaurus was named by scientists almost 25 years ago. They named it long before we actually managed to create it."

Lies. You gulped a little; this was making you highly uneasy. You knew full well that it must have been named Mortisaurus after your attack. According to your memories, before your attack, Gold had been called a 'Deusaurus'. God Dinosaur.

You shook violently at the image of Gold on the screen. Owen's grip on your hand tightened, and he slid your chair closer to his.

"I want out raptors ready to perform for the crowd in the outside arena." He ordered suddenly, snapping you out of your trance.

"Yes, sir," Owen said through gritted teeth.

Jim didn't seem to notice the anger in his voice. He turned his attention back to the board and continued to babble about the rest of the park plans. He then reached the last topic. 

"Everybody. I'd like you to meet your new manager."

He gestured to the door, and a woman stepped inside. She wore a crisp white suit and had long black hair. Mature, that was for sure. She was definitely in her 60s. She clicked across the room in her fancy shoes.

"This is Mrs (l/n)."

You couldn't believe it. You felt sick. It really was her... You bolted from the room.

Owen caught you about two corridors down.

"(Y/N)!" He called, grabbing your arm gently.

You looked at him with tears in your eyes.

"That woman, is she your mother?"

You nodded, then threw yourself into his arms. He rubbed your back gently as you cried.

"Don't worry." He said softly, "Nothing's going to happen. Anyway, even if it did... You'd have me to protect you."

You sniffed a little.

"Owen Grady... I love you." You whispered.

Apparently, the statement caught him off guard because his eyes widened, and he looked utterly shocked. Then his face softened into a smile.

"I love you too." He breathed softly.

All those months together were bound to amount to this. He planted a soft kiss on your lips and caressed your cheek with the palm of his hand.

"No matter what happens, we're here for each other, okay?" Owen said firmly.

You smiled and nodded, allowing Owen to wipe away your tears.

The opening of the park was tomorrow. You had to prep your raptors. The little ones were still in training, so they'd have to be kept away during the main training displays and the introduced as they got older. You and Owen were trying to ignore the events of the meeting. You had no time to worry anymore. Soon the guests would be flooding back. You and Owen spent the entire day training Flame and Indigo. In the end, you didn't have time to give it more thought.