Six

The eggs came as a huge shock. You couldn't fathom why they'd be there. You wanted to go and find out, but you had bigger problems. You were supposed to be training Gold.

"It's been a long time, Gold." You said softly.

The giant dinosaur's head tilted a little. He was obviously curious about you. You held out a hand, and he sniffed it a couple of times, almost as if he wasn't sure it was really you. Of course, you had changed a lot since you last saw him.

"How did you survive all these years?" You whispered, stroking his nose gently.

"Can I come in?" Owen asked tentatively.

You nodded and he entered the cage. Owen approached the enormous dinosaur, trying not to flinch as he opened his huge mouth and breathed hot breath on him. Owen stood next to you; threading an arm around your waist and drawing you close. Gold didn't seem to react well to that. He let out a growl that made you both extremely anxious. Gold appeared to sniff both of you again. He lifted his head and turned away from you. Owen took a step back. As Gold turned around, his tail swung towards you. You ducked, but it caught Owen off guard and knocked him off his feet. You tried your best not to laugh, coughing to cover it. Owen turned to look at you, shaking his head a little and then joining you in a laugh, although his seemed far more nervous in nature. You thought perhaps it was best to leave Gold to sulk for now, so you both left and closed up his enclosure.

You both walked slowly back to the lab.

"He didn't seem to like me." Owen chuckled, "Maybe he's jealous."

You rolled your eyes.

"And why would a dinosaur be jealous?" You asked him.

"Because you're my girlfriend, and he doesn't like that. Probably thinks he's got a claim on you." Owen teased.

"He's a dinosaur." You snorted.

"Yes, but a hyper-intelligent dinosaur." He pointed out, flicking your nose gently.

You laughed at him and then paused to swipe your card. You both headed into the lab. It was break time for most of the workers.

"Just here to use your computer; mine's broken." You told one of the female workers.

It wasn't the first time, so she didn't bat an eyelid. You logged onto the computer in the far corner, the one that was most hidden from the others.

It took a while to search through the project files, but eventually, you found what you were looking for. A record of six new eggs being created, all of the same type as Gold. You groaned and covered your face with your hands. Then, after a moment, you logged off the computer and got up.

"Well?" Owen asked you gently.

"Oh, they made more alright." You seethed.

Owen flinched.

You both headed back to your room and sat down.

"What do we do?" Owen asked after a few minutes of silence.

"Honestly, I don't think there is anything we can do." You sigh.

"This won't end well, will it?" He murmured slowly.

You shrugged a little.

"I just can't cope with this." You muttered, shaking your head.

You took a drink of one of your 'healthy smoothies'. Owen opened his mouth to say something, then shut it as you got up and bolted to the bathroom, leaving the door open as you threw up what little contents you had in your stomach.

"I think the smoothie was expired." You complained.

Owen patted your back gently.

"Everything's going to be alright." He told you softly, "Don't make yourself sick with stress."

You sighed once more.

"I'm not making myself sick with stress." You protested.

You knew Owen didn't believe you.

Eventually, you both settled into bed. Owen didn't seem to want to let go of you. Instead, he kept his arms wrapped around you protectively the whole night. It was as if he knew something was wrong.