18 Hours

It had been about two hours since Lily fell asleep. There was still 19 hours left to wait for the rescue team. You, Owen and Maria had spent three hours trying to keep the baby happy and quiet. Every time she made a noise, you flinched and checked your surroundings. You were all terrified something would come for you. You knew Lily wouldn't sleep for much longer, so you took the opportunity to quietly get some air and make sure nothing was lurking. It seemed clear when a terrifyingly familiar sound filled your ears. Lily's cry. Something rustled in the nearby bushes, and your heart dropped. Then something made a loud roar, and the ground began to shake vigorously. No... The T-Rex. You could see its head above the trees now, but that wasn't what rustled, surely? The sound had been too small. That was when you saw it, a smaller carnivorous dinosaur being thrown into the air like a rag doll, then swallowed down by the dinosaur.

"O-Owen." You whispered as loud as possible.

You hear feet approach behind you and a quiet cussing.

"We need to get out of here," Maria whispered to the two of you, holding Lily close to herself.

"It might be dangerous to move." Owen protested.

You didn't know which option was safer. If you tried to flee, it might see you, but there was still a chance it would find you if you didn't. Then Lily cried out again, and the dinosaur turned its gaze towards the four of you.

"Run!" Owen bellowed.

It could have been disastrous, but you all ran anyway. You knew you shouldn't be running. You'd had no proper care after Lily's birth, and everything hurt like hell, but you weren't going to tell Owen that. Plus, if you didn't run, you'd die.

The Tyrannosaurus swiftly followed you. You knew it would be impossible to outrun, so you all ducked into the trees ahead as you ran. The only problem was, the trees were so thick that you had to separate. Maria and Owen ran one way, Owen now clutching Lily protectively, and you were forced to run the other way. You could still see them through the foliage for a while, but soon it was too thick for even that.

To make matters worse, the T-Rex was now ripping through the foliage as if it was nothing. You could feel yourself getting weaker and weaker. You were unsure if you'd be able to make it out of the trees alive. Then you saw it, the opening. You pushed through it into a clearing where Owen, Maria and Lily were on the other side. As you ran to cross them, a shadow fell over you. Owen screamed out your name as the dinosaur descended its head to grab you. Your foot slipped, and you fell, closing your eyes and waiting for your death to come.

But it didn't come. What did come was the loudest roar and screech you'd ever hear. The ground shook even more than when the T-Rex walked. You shifted your gaze to see him. Gold. He slammed his body into the T-Rex and knocked it clean off of its feet. He bent his great head down and nudged you onto your feet before turning back to the smaller dinosaur, getting to its feet. Gold's roar shook the ground as much as his steps. The T-Rex came at him with all its strength and sunk a bite into Gold's shoulder. You fled to Owen's arms as Gold ripped the teeth out and grabbed the smaller dinosaur's back in his mouth, ripping out a chunk of flesh and then spitting it on the ground. The Tyrannosaurus' backbone was exposed as one more swift bite disabled the beast. Gold's bloodied mouth bent down towards you and Owen as Maria began crying hysterically. Of course, she had no idea about Gold, so she must have assumed you were all about to die. You petted the giant dinosaur's head gently.

"Thank you." You whispered as he blew his hot breath across you all.

He raised his head and bolted off across the island. You dropped to your knees, a shaking wreck, realising how lucky you were not to be dead. All because Gold protected you. You'd never imagined that after all these years, Gold would be your saviour.

The only problem was, you still had 18 hours left on the island.