Gold

You looked momentarily to Owen.

"I remember."

That was all you said. You were reliving the memories again.

You were just ten. You were living on Isla Nova with your mother, who worked in the genetics laboratory. She was eccentric to say the least, always talking about some sort of science that you never understood. You just liked to play. You skipped happily up the corridor of the restricted building. You shouldn't really be in here, and you knew that, but you couldn't keep away. There was a baby dinosaur in a giant cage. Your hands were just small enough to fit through the bars. Everyone had always told you not to touch the dinosaurs because they were dangerous and would not hesitate to eat you. You didn't realise at the time just how dangerous they were. That wouldn't come for three more years when the park would be wrecked. The baby wandered slowly over and sniffed your hand, and then it opened its mouth as if to bite you. Instead of teeth, you felt something soft and wet. The baby dinosaur licked your hand gently, making you giggle. It made some sort of clicking noise with its tongue, and you tilted your head curiously. You repeated the noises back to it. It lowered itself playfully, and its tail wiggled behind it. That was the start of your friendship.

Every day for a year you came to play with your new friend. You developed a little language together, clicking and making little screeching sounds. That only strengthened your bond. The dinosaur grew quite slowly, and around the middle of the third year, it was only about the height of a thirteen-year-old, like you. You managed to sneak into the cage one day after a staff member left the keys on a nearby table. The two of you played for hours, but then something happened. One misplaced set of teeth later, and you were screaming in pain. The dinosaur, which you had affectionately nicknamed 'Gold' after its Golden eyes, looked terrified and guilty. You didn't know a dinosaur could feel that emotion. You were rushed to the medical unit and spent the next ten weeks in intensive care. When you went back to visit Gold, the sign was in place. She was to be destroyed? You couldn't let that happen. You saw the man's gun ready on the table, and you removed the bullets. No way could Gold be destroyed. When the man opened the gate to shoot, since the gun wouldn't fit through the bars, you shoved him in and locked it. You felt so guilty. Gold saw the weapon and attacked him right away. You gasped and then ducked behind a wall, hiding your eyes as you heard the screams. Oh god. Gold had killed someone. No. You'd killed someone. You left quickly.

It was a while before someone saw the bones in Gold's cage. They were definitely going to destroy him now. One day, someone grabbed you and dragged you to the lab. You remember an injection and nothing else for a few more days. Gold should have been killed during that time, but miraculously, that was when the park went crazy. You escaped, but your mother wasn't so lucky. You ended up living with your father until you were twenty. You had never remembered anything. Until now.

You were shocked out of your memory as you felt your side throb. You rolled up your shirt a little to expose the huge scar that trailed from the middle of your back to your belly button. Luckily, it was only the skin that had been damaged, no organs, but the scar was permanent. Owen stared in shock.

"That did that to you?" he asked, obviously putting two and two together.

"Oh, but it was an accident, wasn't it?" You said to Gold, who was watching you intently, "So you're where I got the raptor language from."

You pressed a hand to the bars, and Owen nearly lunged for you until he saw the tongue of the dinosaur press against the cage. You clicked your tongue a few times, and Gold repeated it. You laughed softly.

"You got huge. You were only about five feet tall last time I saw you, boy."

Owen looked at you as if you were crazy.

"We need to get out of here. The sign clearly says it's dangerous."

You frowned and turned to face Owen.

"The only reason that sign is there is because of me. Because I got into the cage and decided to play. We were fine until I knocked us both down; he just panicked and grabbed onto me by accident." You admitted.

Owen sighed.

"Look, alright, if you say he's not, I'll believe you, but we need to get going." He said firmly.

You rolled your eyes.

"Alright." You muttered.

You patted the bars of the cage gently.

"I'll be back. I promise." You said.

A thought came to you, how was he still alive without any meat? Then you saw the massive pile of bones in the corner of the cage. Someone had been feeding him. Someone else knew he was here.

Owen had almost had to drag you from the place. He was definitely worried about you. You had been acting so odd. But, by the time you got back to the main building, you were acting completely normal again. That worried Owen even more.

"Did you check all of the enclosures?" Jim asked upon your return.

He'd been appointed the new manager for now.

"Yeah, they're all safe," Owen told him, speaking before you could.

You frowned a little, Owen always seemed cold to Jim, and you didn't understand it. You thought back to the time he almost kissed you. Nothing had really happened since then, much to your disappointment. Jim nodded and then gave you the rest of the day off. Well, actually, he had told you to continue training, but both Flame and Indigo were on a time-out for roughing up another intern. They'd both ganged up on the poor boy and scared him half to death.

You both ended up in the lunchroom again. It was empty, and there was no hot food yet, so instead, you bought food from the vending machines. You sat with Owen quietly, eating a sandwich and drinking some lemonade. Neither of you spoke for a while. Owen finished off his sandwich much faster than yours; he was almost done with his beer too. He seemed lost in thought for a moment, and then he looked right at you.

"I think we have some unfinished business." He said suddenly.

You looked at him in confusion. What business? He got up and walked around to your side of the table, gesturing for you to stand too. Then, for the first time in a while, you saw that mischievous smile he always had. You took one more sip of lemonade and stood up.

"What busine-"

You were cut off by a crushing force against your lips. You were shocked, your eyes wide as you realised what was happening. You slowly kissed him back, but it was only another few seconds before he pulled away. He smirked at you.

"That business." He said, before he turned and walked out of the room.

"H-hey! Don't just leave after that!" You yelled as he walked out of the door.

You were completely flustered. You could hear his chuckling as he walked off. Oh, sometimes he really annoyed you. But you could tell by the way he kissed you, that it wasn't just a joke.