XXVII.Girls

Ruby

Whatever that dark liquid was, it didn't look like anything I had seen before. It was light and fluid like water, yet its color resembled petrol. There were a number of reasons why it could be a lot of trouble: it could be toxic--or harmful in any other way possible a liquid can be--and it also meant that all of my footsteps would be easily heard because of the splashes my boots would cause when moving.

But standing still in fear wouldn't get me anywhere, and I knew it. That's why I carefully started walking in a random direction, trying to spot anything that wasn't that neverending puddle. Eventually, I heard a strange bubbling noise and I immediately stopped in my tracks. It was dark and I could hardly see anything, but I could locate the origin of the sound.

Something seemed to be emerging from the puddle. I couldn't tell what it was until it had risen to be taller than me. It looked at me with a single white and definitely not human eye. In fact, it was in no way human, even if it did look like it had a head and a neck. I soon came to the realisation that it didn't emerge from the substance. It was made of the substance.

 It was made of the substance

[Isn't she adorable?]

Its unnerving presence suffocated me for the long seconds where both the thing and I stood still. I managed to let a faint "Ana?" out of me, even if I doubted that it was her. That thing stared at me, tilting its head and squinting what I assumed was the eye. Then it lunged at me with a speed I can't even begin to describe. I clearly remember thinking "Oh, come on! Not this again!"

Leonora

Morgi was too weak to even stand up, and I was nowhere near strong enough to stop Karma from trying to look for Ruby and Ana by herself. I managed to grab her arm before she could go too far. My only chance was to hold her down with words.

--Karma, you can't do that, I order you as the princess of Kingsland!--Was the first thing I could squeeze out of my lips in the middle of my panic.

--I have to help them, I... I need to make up for attacking Ruby, and I have to apologise--She firmly stated, though she didn't take a single step away from Morgi and me.

I stayed quiet for a few seconds, thinking through my next words:--Listen up, okay..? I know guilt is heavy, but you can't let it crush you like a bug. You weren't even in control in that situation! And you can still help, by staying here with us. Alien can't handle two people at once, and you won't be able to dissuade that barbarian even if you tried for a year straight.

Karma stared at me, her expression being a reflection of her somewhat troubled mind, then glanced briefly at Morgi. She sighed deeply and easily got her arm free from my grip. A thud could be heard when she let herself drop to the ground again, looking out at the thick fog that made it impossible for us to see where Ruby and Ana were.

Ruby

Right as it charged against me, I could swear I saw that monster grow a pair of liquid dripping arms. The details escaped my sight, but one of them was most definitely wielding something. A weapon, I assumed. It didn't take me too long to check that the assumption was true. It used that thing which turned out to be a spear to try and slice me in half, but I reacted quickly and blocked the hit with my saber.