Forty Six

Thea gasped sinking into the scorching water. Her immersed scabs stung but there was a pleasant tingling sensation coursing through her muscles as she relaxed into the tub.

The gashes on her stomach had healed enough in the last few days that she no longer needed to change the bandages multiple times a day. She went as long as she could without wearing them before one of the others caught her and forced her to sit while they coated her abdomen in ointment and wrapped her like a burrito.

She hated every second of it.

She hated feeling useless. Hated being treated like a child that couldn't take care of themselves. The others did all they could to help her and she was grateful for that, but their eyes followed her like a specimen under a microscope. They didn't let her do anything by herself or let her leave the apartment.

The only moment she got to herself was when she took a bath.

The doctor said that she could start taking showers again since the wounds had closed, but she opted for lengthy baths instead.

She sighed and sank beneath the surface. Her body, although sore, was growing restless. She had never stayed still for this long. Not even when she had been shot in the arm. It only took her two days to get back up and fighting again.

But it had been almost a week and she was still bed ridden.

She heaved another heavy weighted sigh and pulled herself into a standing position. Water dripped off her wet skin and plummeted to the tile below as stepped out onto the plush rug. She eyed the towel wearily before reaching her arm up to yank it from its holder.
She grit her teeth against the tendrils of fire scorching up her arm.

The pain had grown familiar to her. Each time she lifted her arm above a forty-five degree angle, an electric charge radiated from the socket of her shoulder out the tips of her fingertips and the base of her neck. At this rate she'd be lucky if she'd be able to drive a car again, let alone fight off an attacker.

She shook her head against the thought and eyed the girl in the mirror.

From her neck to her navel her body looked like it had gone through a meat grinder. Only instead of random slashes, an intricate pattern of cuts blemished her. She brushed her fingers over the swords that cut through her skin, then traced the outline of the knight.

This is all she had left of her brother. The only reminder that he had ever existed. Her fists clenched. Even after he had left, the scars remained. An ever present reminder that she was responsible.

She was the reason everyone around her got hurt.

She was the reason that her mother and sister were buried seven feet under. Because she didn't protect them, hadn't done enough to save them.

And Shane... she shook her head. She couldn't think about her brother. Even hearing his name sent a whirlwind on emotions through her. Hate, love, relief, sadness. She didn't know what to feel.

She quickly wrapped the towel around her, shielding herself from the mirror, and left the bathroom.

Clothes were already laid out on her bed, ready for her. She sighed, something she had done a lot of lately. "I don't even get to pick out my own clothes."

Shaking her head she pulled on the underwear and shrugged her bra onto her shoulders.

A nock at the door interrupted her feeble attempts to latch it. "Do you need help?" James gruff voice wafted through the closed door. She shook her head, forgetting for a moment that he couldn't see her.

"No, I'm fine." She didn't want to see him. Things had been different since they fell asleep in the same bed together. He had been different.

The softer side of James she had grown accustomed too had all but disappeared in the last week. He no longer looked at her with concern, but instead a removed expression she couldn't read. He was impatient with her and kept their conversations short and to the point. While the others waited on her hand and foot, he sat back and ignored her.

He never left the apartment though. It was like he didn't trust her enough to leave her alone, but didn't care enough to keep her company.

But it wasn't like she had been completely warm either. The morning after he stayed with her, holding her, she had kicked him out. She closed her eyes and pinched the bridge of her nose.

Its better this way. Let him hate you.

Another sigh. 

It's better than being another one of your victims. 

She opened her eyes and nodded to herself. 

It's better this way.

She reached her arms around and gasped when the pain became to much.

"You don't sound fine." James bored voice came from the hallway. She ignored him and tried again. Her arms and neck ached with the effort. "Thea, you're being childish and stubborn."

Crossing the room she tore the door open roughly. James' eyes drifted down her body, widening slightly. Her bra was pressed against her front, barely concealing her chest and her bare legs were on display.

She felt her face heat up from embarrassment and annoyance. She turned away from him. "Are you going to help or just enjoy the view?" She bit out.

His face darkened, but he grinned wickedly, "I can do both."  He shut the door behind them and followed her into the room. She growled in return.

Standing with her back to him, a shudder ran down her spine as his breath hit the back of her neck. Gentle hands pulled the bra and hooked it into place.

Mumbling a quick thanks she grabbed the pair of sweat pants and tugged them on. They were slightly too large and hung loosely on her hips.

They were both silent as James retrieved the oversized T-shirt from the bed. He held it open in front of her and slid it onto her outstretched arms.

After he had tugged it over her head he gave her a swift nod and retreated from the room.

"You have physical therapy in an hour." He quipped over his shoulder.

******

"This speaks to me on a spiritual level." Lottie stared into the computer screen with her chin rested on her hand.

Trevor leaned over to peer at the screen. She was reading an article about a magician who was scheduled to perform at a night club near by. "You subscribe to a very strange religion."

Lottie frowned and slapped the back of his head. "Do you know how good at slight of hand you have to be to make it as a magician?" She dropped her hand and looked at the screen wistfully, "Oh what I would do with talent like that."

"You mean rob people blind?" He grumbled into his coffee mug while rubbing the back of his head.

"Ouch!" Hot coffee spilled onto his hands as Lottie's open palm collided with the back of his head, this time with more force.

Thea and Ryder couldn't help but exchange amused expressions at the couples bickering.

"Why don't we go see it?" All eyes turned to Ryder. He cleared his throat, "The magician, I mean."

Lottie's face broke into a smile, "Really?"

"Yeah, why not? We haven't left the apartment in days." He shrugged and shoveled a forkful of eggs into his mouth. "When is it?" Bits of egg spluttered onto the table. Thea wrinkled her nose.

"Saturday night."

"Good, cause today I have a different plan." They all turned as James sauntered into the kitchen. "We're going to the race track."

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Hello lovelies,
I am so sos os ossoosososooosososososos sorry about my posting lately. I know its sporadic. Without school to keep me in check, I wind up sleeping 16 hours a day and eating for the other 8.
(*.*)
I have the next couple chapters planned out though, so the wait shouldn't be too long.
I hope you enjoyed:D (BTW i didn't edit it so if there's mistakes feel free to scold me/ignore it)
Comment what you think or to yell at me for my lack of updating.