Fifty Six

The car offered warmth, and quiet. More of that comfortable silence Thea welcomed. There was a soft rattle from under the back seat where she had stashed the duffle bag. She watched out the window, admiring the lights of the city as Eve pulled out of the parking lot.

It wasn't until Thea could see the apartment at the end of the street that the silence was delicately broken. 

"Did you ever think about us?" Eve whispered so softly Thea almost thought she imagined it. 

Thea turned, Eve's guarded look was shadowed by the sun dancing between the buildings. It was just nearly sunset and her striking features were illuminated in gold. A sharp nose over an equally sharp cupids bow and almond eyes underneath elegantly set brows. 

Thea cleared her throat, "Us?"

Eve's eyebrow twitched but she loosened her grip on the steering wheel as the pulled the car into the parking garage underneath the building. She found a parking spot and tucked a lock of blond hair behind her ear. Thea noticed her nails were well manicured with a baby pink polish. 

She sighed ever so softly, "Don't do that."

A pang shot through Thea's chest. She turned away from Eve and focused her eyes on a scuff mark on the window. It was vaguely shaped like a squashed heart. 

"Of course I did." 

She could feel Eve shift in her seat, then a warm feeling as her small hand gripped Thea's forearm. 

"Let me in again."

Thea turned and was met with eyes deeper and bluer than the Atlantic. Eve gracefully lifted her hand and touched Thea's cheek.  

"Just for a little bit."

Thea sank, her head tilted instinctively into the warmth and her eyes fluttered shut. For a second she imagined loosing herself forever in that delicate security Eve offered. It had been different with Eve than it had been with the men Thea had found herself with. Softer and warmer. Safer. 

She opened her eyes at the feeling of soft finger tips brushing her cheek bone and was drowning yet again in Eve's ocean. 

The feeling was serene but cut short by a flash of green in her mind.         

Thea lifted a hand and stroked Eve's own perfectly high set cheek bone. As she looked into Eve's eyes, it suddenly dawned on her that she no longer wanted to swim in the ocean. 

She let her hand drop and blinked against the icy depths of Eve's eyes.

She was missing the forrest. 

"We should get back." Thea broke the spell and looked at the looming elevator doors, "The broadcast will be on soon."

Eve sighed and flicked the engine off. She pulled the keys out of the ignition slowly and took a long look at the girl in her passenger seat. Thea's hyper focused eyes darted between the unmoving shadows outside the car. Her hands were subtly making a vain attempt to tie themselves into knots in her lap.

Eve smiled sweetly and clicked her tongue, "You've met someone."

Thea shook her head, tousling her hair so it hid her face. "No, I just don't think it's wise to rekindle an old flame when I've just lit my father's match."

She grabbed hold of the door handle and made her way out of the car, leaving that icy blue ocean behind. 

******

"This is Sandra Bolt with NYC News." The lady on the screen said through perfectly straight white teeth. "Breaking news has it that a local warehouse was just raided. It is said that the authorities seized over two tons of illicit substances totaling in over Two million dollars at street value.The biggest bust by New York detectives in this district in over a decade."