13

I know you're wondering why I killed myself. But I already told you. I get you want more answers, but I don't want to give them to you.

     The best part was that Skynet was gone, but everyone else went down with it. Or so you thought?

* * *

     I woke up in the bed of the two story house, hearing Reese and Sarah sing "happy birthday", while Pops brought in a cake with 18 candles on it. I wanted to laugh with the smile on his face, but I couldn't. I was confused.

     What? I thought I died? I thought, remembering when I killed myself.

     "Randi? What's wrong?" Sarah asked.

     "You look lost." Reese agreed.

     "W- what happened? I- I remember turning into a terminator, you guys were sinking in a road, Mom and Dad came back, and-"

     "Whoa! Slow down!" Reese exclaimed, sitting by my bedside and patting me on the shoulder.

     "Take it easy." Pops agreed.

     "We'll explain later, just blow out your candles! Besides, it's your 18th birthday!" Sarah said.

     "You're a legal adult now! So celebrate!" Reese added.

     They were right. So I just nodded my head. "Yeah... You're right." I closed my eyes and made a wish- to understand why I was still alive. I proceeded to blow out my candles, and to hearing Sarah and Reese clap and cheer. I held the cake for Pops, who just smiled, and clapped after I held it.

     "Happy birthday Randy Connor." He said.

     "Thanks Pops!" I exclaimed with a smile.

     "Oh! Randi! Come downstairs! We have a surprise for you!" Reese exclaimed cheerfully.

     I raised my eyebrows. "Like what?"
      "C'mon!" Sarah commanded, running downstairs with Reese like kids on Christmas morning.

     I was expecting it to be clothes, money, or some other thing for an 18 year old.

     "Can you tell me what it is, Pops?" I asked.

     "Sarah Connor told me not to tell you what it is." He answered.

     "Oh..." I shook my head.

     We went downstairs, and I found Mom and Dad with big smiles on their faces. I was speechless to see them alive.

     Yep. I'm dead. I thought.

     "Mom! Dad!" I exclaimed, placing the cake on the table. "What are you doing here?"
      "We came to see you! We wouldn't miss our daughter's 18th birthday for the world!" Dad answered.

     I hugged them, as they laughed. "I thought we were gone!"

     "Randi, why would you say that?" Mom questioned after the hug.

     "Because- I remember being a terminator. Reese, Pops, and Sarah sunk in a road, and I got so mad I killed myself by shooting my soul."

     "Randi, when a terminator kills itself, it returns to the life it used to live." Sarah explained, standing beside me.

     "But that makes no sense!"

     "Nothing mistakes. What do you expect?" Pops asked.

     "Randi, you're alive. You never did die. Because John and Rachel saved you immediately after you died, taking you back to your life. They weren't gonna take us, but we begged for them for us to come back with you, knowing how much you cared about us. So they got us back as souls, but they came back as terminators." Sarah continued.

     "How come they're terminators and we aren't?"
      "Because they recovered our bodies."

     I looked back at my parents, who just stared at me sincerely. I knew Sarah were telling the truth, by the look on their faces. There were so many things I wanted to ask, but I felt like I shouldn't, since I knew I had to take things easy. Thankfully, I took things easy for the rest of my life.