PROLOGUE

Ashton stormed out of his office, panic written all over his face. He ignored all the weird looks he received from his employees. Right now it didn't matter to him. All he wanted was to reach St. Andrews Hospital as soon as possible.

"Mr Wallworks what about your appointments?" his efficient secretary Rita yelled from behind him.

"Cancel them." he yelled, not bothering to give her a second glance.

Right now, he didn't care about anything or anyone. All he wants to do is, make sure that his Adriana was alright. Yes! Adriana his beloved wife, and love of his life.

The woman he fell in love with in his university and married immediately after graduating. The woman who loved him to bits. The woman he ignored and mistreated. The woman he betrayed.

Now she is on the death bed and the only person who could be blamed was him. If he would have had the courtesy of at least running after her, he wouldn't have been in this situation.

He pulled into a empty spot in the hospital's parking lot and got out of the car. Without wasting any time he ran into the building and straight to the reception.

"Where is she?" he demanded scaring the living shit out of the poor women behind the desk .

"How may I help you?" she asked trying to sound as professional as possible.

"Where the hell is my wife?" he growled, making her flinch.

"Mr Wallworks?" a nurse called out from behind him.

"Where's my wife?" he growled again.

"She's in the OT-" she replied shakily. Ashton did not give her a second glance and headed straight to the emergency section.

He immediately spotted Alison, his mother in law. Waiting outside the OT. He quickly walked towards her. "How did it happen?" he demanded.

She didn't respond, she just stared at the ground. "Alison." he growled in anger. It didn't effect her. She was used to it.

"How is she Doctor?" he demanded as the doctor walked out of the OT. He gave him a sympathetic look and replied.

"I'm sorry Mr Wallworks, she didn't make it."

Ashton felt his entire world crashing down on him. He fell on his knees and sobbed. He sobbed for the love of his life. The doctor helped him to get back on his feet.

"Mr Wallworks, please control yourself." he tried to calm him down.

"Can I see her?" he managed to speak.

"No you can't." Alison yelled at him. Ashton looked at her with confusion.

"Don't pretend you care Ashton, when we all know you don't." she spoke with venom laced in her voice.

"What are you talking about Alison?" Ashton demanded.

"Adriana called me Ashton, she told me what you did." Ashton froze when she mentioned about what happened. He put his head down in guilt.

He got up from his seat and walked to the ward where Adriana's body was kept. But he was abruptly stopped by Alison.

"You are not going anywhere near her." she repeated herself.

"She's my wife Alison and you can't stop me from seeing her."

"Yes I can." she said wiping her tears.

"I will not let even your shadow fall on my baby." she spat at him.

"Alison please." he almost pleaded.

"Go away Ashton, or else I would be forced to do something drastic." She threatened him. And with that she walked into the ward closing the door on his face.