15

It had been a week since his encounter with Alison. And he still couldn't believe that his Adriana was alive all these years and he never knew it.

He should have figured it out when he wasn't allowed to see her that night. And now he feels like an idiot.

He remembered every day that he spent blaming himself for her death. When in reality her family had purposely kept her away from him.

A knock on the door brought him out of his thoughts. "Come in." he commanded as he leaned back on his chair.

"You look like a mess." Jason commented as he walked into the office.

"I feel like mess." Ashton replied as he held his head in his hands.

"Did you find something?"

Jason shook his head. "Nope... Our doubt was right Ashton. They have planned it all. The hospital records have been destroyed. And nobody's ready to speak anything about it."

"That man is smarter than I thought."

"He's a dangerous man Ashton."

"Now what are we going to do Jason?"

"I have... " but they were interrupted by the loud ringing of the phone.

"What is it?" Ashton snapped at the receptionist.

"Sir a woman here wishes to speak to you."

"Send her away I don't want to speak to anyone." muffled voices were heard from the other end.

"Sir she says she knows something about your wife." Ashton stiffened in his seat at the mention of Adriana.

"Send her in." he commanded and hung up. Within minutes there was a knock on his door.

"Come in." A middle aged woman walked in. She had blonde hair and had a pretty figure.

"Who are you?" Jason asked as he watched her walk in.

"My name's Nina Jones and I..." but she was cut off in the middle.

"What do you know about my wife?" Ashton demanded.

"Calm down Ashton." Jason interrupted as he watched her shake in fear.

"How do you know Adriana?" Jason asked ignoring Ashton's glare.

"I knew Adriana from her diaper days." Both the men gave her a confused look.

"Would you like to take a seat Mrs Jones ?" Jason asked before Ashton snapped at her.

"Thank you." She mumbled as she took a seat opposite to him.

"Start speaking woman we didn't have all day." Ashton snapped in a annoyed tone.

"Where do you want me to begin?"

"Right from the beginning." Jason replied politely . Nina sighed and started.

"Around twenty years back...I found this girl sitting on the bench with a baby in her arms . She didn't look a day older than 18. She looked like she belonged to a wealthy family, but it wasn't that which drew my attention. It was the look on her face that made me approach her. In the beginning she didn't trust me. But then I convinced her that it wasn't good for the baby to stay out in such a weather and she agreed to come with me. She told me her name was Alison and she was the mother of the child... it took me weeks to gain her trust. And one day she told me that she was married to a man ten years older than her and he abused her. She told me that she was scared that he would hurt her baby and that's why she ran away. She never told me his name or anything about him. She stayed with me for a few months and then she moved out. But we were in touch with each other. I watched Adriana grow up. She was such a darling.....Alison never mentioned about her husband and I didn't pursue her to tell me about him. I knew it was a sore subject for her and I didn't want to hurt her."