21

Katherine ran out of the coffee shop. Ignoring the weird look she received from the people around.

" Is everything alright miss? " Hunter gave her a concerned look. She ignored him and quickly got into the car.

" Where to? " He asked as he started the engine.

" Wallworks Inc. " Was all she replied.

What was happening to her? Why was she feeling like her heart just broke into a million pieces? She didn't have any feeling for him, or did she?

She couldn't think straight. A replacement. Was she really a replacement to him? Did he say he loves her only because she looked like Adriana?

" Miss is everything alright? " Hunter asked again as he opened the door for her.

" Yes Hunter everything's alright. What can be wrong? " she replied as she got out of the car, and walked into the elegant building.

" Are you alright Adri- sorry Katherine? " Jason asked as he got up from his chair.

" Where's he? " She asked ignoring his former question.

" In his office. " He replied pointing at his office. She nodded and walked away.

" Katherine what a pleasant surprise. " Ashton stated as he got out of his chair and walked up to her.

" Ashton did you mean anything what you told me last night? " Katherine asked curtly.

" What's wrong Katherine? Were you crying? " he asked as he observed her puffy eyes.

" Answer me Ashton. Did you mean it or not? "

" What happened Katherine why are you asking such a question? "

" Answer me Ashton. "

" Yes Katherine I meant every word I said. " He replied honestly.

" Do you still love Adriana? "

" Katherine? "

" Answer me Ashton do you still have feelings for her? "

" Katherine I..." he stuttered. He didn't know why couldn't he answer that.

" So you still love her don't you? " she asked as more tears rolled down her cheeks.

" Yes I do love her Katherine. But I..." but he was cut off in the middle.

" So she was right. " Ashton gave her a confused look.

" What are you taking about? " he asked as he cupped her face. But she immediately pulled away.

" What are you talking about Katherine? " he demanded.

" You don't love me Ashton. You love her. And I'm nothing but her replacement. " She stated bitterly.

" I don't know who has poisoned your mind. But whoever it is trust me I'm not going to leave them.." but he was cut off in the middle.

" Nobody's poisoning my mind Ashton. I just learnt the truth. "

" The truth is that I love you. " Ashton snapped at her.

" Oh really? Then why do you still have feelings for her? "

" Katherine listen to me. I...."

" You listen to me Ashton Wallworks. I thought about your proposal last night. And I have decided that I do not wish to be her replacement . I know she meant a lot to a lot of people and I can't be her. Goodbye Ashton. Don't ever try to contact me again. " with that she stormed out of the office.

Ashton stood there paralysed. He couldn't believe what had just happened. Did she just turn him down?

He was abruptly brought out of his thoughts by his phone and he answered it without checking the ID.

" I heard Katherine just rejected you . " Nicklaus stated from the other end. Ashton could feel his body shake in anger.

" So it was all your game wasn't it? "

Nicklaus chuckled. " It took you long time to figure out. I know that my stupid wife has already told you the truth . And you already know everything. "

" Cut the crap Nicklaus and come straight to the point. "

" Stay away from her Ashton. She doesn't deserve a dog like you. "

" She's my wife Nicklaus. You can't keep me away from her. "

" Yes I can. If I could make the world believe that she is dead. Then I can make anything happen."

" You are a monster. "

" Then think what this monster is capable of doing. "

" I won't let you ruin our lives again Nicklaus Mickelson. I promise I will win her back. " and with that he hung up.

~~~
Katherine walked into her house with a heavy heart. She wiped her tears and started walking towards her room.

" Baby Katherine . " Lily called out from behind her.

" Yes Lily? " Katherine asked politely.

" oh honey what's wrong with your eyes? Were you crying? "

" Everything's fine. I'm a little tired that's it. "

" Oh I forgot to inform you. Mr Hyde has been waiting for you Honey . " She smiled. Katherine nodded and walked towards the drawing room.

" Nathan? " Katherine called out as she walked into the elegant drawing room.

" Katherine you look beautiful. " She smiled at him.

" Thank you. " She replied.

" So what are you doing here? " She asked politely .

" Well I wanted to ask you something. " He stated awkwardly.

" Go ahead . " she encouraged.

" I know this is not the appropriate way to say this. But...."

" But what? " she asked as she watched him get up from the couch and walked towards her. He got on his knees and pulled out a black box from his pocket and placed it in front of her.

" Marry me Katherine. " he proposed to her.

Katherine immediately stood up. she couldn't believe what she had just heard. Was this some kind of a joke? Why is her life so messed up? Why can't she have a normal life?

" Katherine my knees are hurting. " Nathan interrupted her chain of thoughts.

She couldn't say yes to him. Her heart was already claimed. And she couldn't deny it anymore. She loved Ashton.

But after realizing that she was nothing but a replacement to him. She was broken. She didn't know what to do or say and even before she realised what she was saying. The word just came out of her mouth.

" Yes. " Nathan immediately got up on his feet and pulled her into his chest.

" Thank you Katherine. Thank you so much. I love you... I love you so much. " Katherine hugged him back awkwardly.

" But I have a condition. " She stated. Nathan gave her a confused look.

" We are marrying in a week. " he sighed in relief.

" Your wish is my command my love . If you want us to marry in a week. Then we will. " He assured her.

" I will speak to Nicklaus. Take care Katherine. I love you. " He kissed her forehead and walked away.

She knew what she did was not right. But this was the only way she could forget about him.