1

Ashton jolted awake, with his heart pounding and his body drenched in sweat. Tears rolling down his cheeks. He had the same nightmare again.

The memory of that dreaded night has been haunting him for almost two years. The night he lost her forever.

He picked up the small photo frame placed on his night stand. The only thing that was left of her. The only picture he managed to keep with him.

He watched his beautiful Adriana smiling back at him. Her beautiful blue eyes bright and filled with mischief . Her full lips curled up into a smile.

To say she was beautiful would be an understatement, she was breathtaking . Why didn't he realise it then? Why did he always humiliate her saying she was an embarrassment? He never knew.

He knew it was useless thinking about it now, it was too late for realisation. She would never come back, even if he wanted her to.

He scrambled out of the bed and headed straight to the bathroom. He glanced at his reflection in the full length mirror of his luxurious bathroom. And didn't recognised the man staring back at him.

His cold grey eyes were blood shot with tears. His handsome face was unshaved and it wouldn't be wrong if you would compare him to a zombie.

He took a quick shower and got dressed in one of his finest Armani suits, that fitted perfectly to his God like features. And headed downstairs.

"Good morning Mr Wallworks." his middle aged house keeper greeted him with a warm smile.

"Morning Margaret." he mumbled as he took a seat.

"Mr White, has been waiting for you for almost half an hour." she started. He looked up at her gesturing her to continue.

"And he's growing impatient." she continued.

"He will survive." he replied knowing that his friend would eventually loose patience and end up storming into his dining room.

And just then Jason burst into his dining room with an irritated look on his face. Ashton just rolled his eyes.

"What do you want Jason?" he demanded.

"You have a meeting in an hour." he snapped at him.

"I know."

"Then why are you still here?" he demanded.

"Look Jason,  I am not interested in meeting any snobbish heiress." he declared.

"It's too late Ashton, we can't cancel the meeting now." Ashton put his fork back on his plate with frustration. And wiped his mouth with a napkin.

"Okay fine." he got out of his chair and stormed out of the room. Leaving Jason no choice other than running after him.

***
Ashton waited patiently, trying very hard not to lose his temper . The meeting was delayed by an hour, as the Heiress hasn't showed up yet. And nobody has an idea when is she going to grace them with her presence.

"We just received a call from miss Mickelson. And she would be here any time." one of the board members spoke up trying to ease the awkwardness.

Honestly, he didn't care. He was very sure that the girl was working too hard to get his attention. It was then he remembered the dreaded day when he had chosen such a woman over his Adriana.

Flashback:

Adriana checked her reflection in the mirror for the hundredth time, hoping at least this time she wouldn't disappoint her husband.

She glanced at her pale pink evening dress. It looked pretty simple but still it made her look elegant. She gave herself one last look and headed downstairs.

Ashton paced impatiently as he waited for his wife to show up. Honestly, he wasn't interested in taking her along . All he wanted was to get rid of her. He believed that she would embarrass him.

His eyes went wide when he saw her walk down the stairs. " You are not coming with me dressed like that." he almost growled in disgust.

"But what's wrong with my dress?" she demanded pointing at her beautiful yet simple dress.

"What's wrong? Why do you always want to embarrass me in front of my friends?" he yelled at her. She could feel her eyes tear up.

"If you want I can change." she offered . But he wasn't ready to listen to her.

"That's not needed, you are not coming with me." he declared not leaving any chance for her to argue. He pulled out his phone and dialed his secretary.

"Rita, I want you to be ready in 30 minutes. You are my date tonight." he spoke loud enough for Adriana to hear.

Adriana could feel tears roll down her cheeks. But she didn't complain, she didn't argue . She just cried silently.
Flashback ends.

He was brought out of his thoughts when the door to the board room opened.

"Sorry I'm late." a sinfully familiar voice spoke up. The voice he thought he would never hear. He looked up at the newcomer and froze.

"Adriana? "