~ 25 I ~

- Part One -

"Charlie," I gasp in surprise. I should have recognized him instantly from his accent but my mind and heart were a little too occupied with a certain someone else to put the two together. A certain someone who is standing bits away, seething in rage. No, rage is the wrong word to describe Reece's current state. The word I'm looking for is on the tip of my tongue.

My heart skips another beat when I figure out the right word to explain what I'm seeing.

Jealousy

Reece is jealous and the fact that he is makes my heart swell with hope because if he feels that way when I'm around Charlie then that must mean-

"What are you doing here?" My British guy friend asks, sounding thankful that he happened to stumble across me. I turn away from Reece who, by the way, is walking at a faster pace then before to catch up, and face my friend with a smile on my face. Though I'm trying hard to not break that smile because I can't help but feel a tad bit disappointed that I'm standing with Charlie instead of Reece.

"I'm on my way to a date," I tell Charlie, feeling confident enough to speak the truth. Reece asked me out on a date today which happens to be Valentines day. I couldn't believe it at first and I kept doubting Reece and myself but now, seeing Reece's reaction to Charlie, I'm sure. I can't explain anymore clearer how I know. I just know.

And I can't wait for this evening to begin which is why I feel guilty because I want Charlie to leave. Pushing past the guilt, I try to tell Charlie that I have to go but he intervenes.

"Nice, so am I," he replies and then frowns, "thought I don't really feel like going."

That's interesting. "Why not?" I ask, finding myself intrigued and putting my date with Reece on a short pause. It has always been a motto of mine to be there for my friends and even though that list is short, Charlie is a friend and if something is troubling him, I'm here to listen.

Charlie sighs, putting his brown leather covered hands into the pockets of his jacket. "Well I only agreed to go with her to put a stop to all the requests. It was giving me a headache but now, I really don't want to be here," he tells me the issue bugging him. "I don't even remember her name," he admits at the end of his explanation.

I know I made a promise to myself to provide aid to a friend but I really have no clue what to say that would make things better. As much as I want to tell Charlie that he brought this upon himself, the truth is not what he needs because I'm sure he know it. That leaves me with an empty mind; no ideas floating up and about in there.

"Um, where do you plan to take her?" I mumble, trying to stall while I desperately search for something to say.

"The restaurant over there, called Night Stars." Charlie informs me while he points in the general direction where Reece should be along with the place we're supposed to be ordering our meals at this time instead of being stuck outside, separated.

"That's where I'm heading too." And I wish I wasn't and it's not because of Reece. It's due to another reason that is nagging at me. The feeling only intensifies when Charlie blurts out his plan B for the night.

"I know!" He says, no longer upset, "how about we do a double date?"

There it is: the question I was dreading. Regardless of my worry, I was planning to spending this evening with and only with Reece. I don't want to have to endure, what will probably turn out to be, an awkward meal, watching the girl Charlie brought flirt with Reece. I feel my stomach drop, no longer feeling excited about the day. I can't even find it in me to do the right thing by being a good friend and saying yes.