~ 10 ~

There are many stares in this world.

There's the regular blank stare.

The confused stare.

The shocked stare.

The 'oh no you didn't' stare.

The 'oh no I'm so busted' stare.

The classic surprised stare.

The 'I can't believe I'm seeing this for my very own eyes' stare.

The 'I don't care' stare.

I have gotten everyone of these stares as I walked into the school. At first I was overwhelmingly disturbed by the attention but when I finally reach half way to my locker, I learned to tune them out. At least I'm not receiving snark comments about my social status this morning of the second day back from winter vacation. I was forced to miss yesterday due to my worried parents.

So now, on a Tuesday afternoon, I walk up to my friend who is standing by our locker with a 'I can't believe I'm seeing this for my very own eyes' stare.

"What? Surprised I missed a day of school?" I ask her knowing that yesterday was the first day in the last two whole school years that I missed a day of school. Maybe that's why everyone at school is looking at me as if I've grown a second head. They expected to see me yesterday, all ready to throw they new insults at me they created over the break. My absence yesterday must have greatly disappointed them.

Bailey crosses her arms over her chest. "That too but that's not why the whole school is in a frenzy."

"I was sick," I quickly explain hoping she wouldn't question my disappearance yesterday anymore. "So why is everyone staring at me like I'm crazy?"

"Because not only did you not come to school with Reece but the two of you haven't acknowledged each other at all today! You two almost always walk to school together unless the guy has to miss school but yesterday and today, he drove with his girlfriend!" Bailey isn't one to gossip unless it has to do with Reece or me.

The cut in my heart is still fresh but I force a smile, "so?"

"His girlfriend isn't you! It's Chasity MacKenzie." Bailey exclaims, even though we both already knew that. It's funny how I was actually the first one in this school, besides Cameron to find out about Reece's relationship with the cheerleader of Beacon High. Bailey then gazes at me intently. "You didn't confess your feelings to him, huh?"

I proceed to open my locker, "actually, I did." I end up having to stop with grabbing my English novel in order to see if my dear friend, who's is standing right behind me chocking on her own saliva, is alright.

Once it appears that Bailey has caught her breath, her eyes bulge as she looks at me as if she's seeing me for the very first time. "Then why is he with her? What happened?!"

I bite my lip hesitantly. I know for certain that I can't tell Bailey about the horrible experience I had to endure during the winter break and I can't tell her that Chasity was with Reece and I at the holiday home because that would raise suspicion. So basically, I can't tell her the details of the truth. "We fought," I simply inform Bailey but she doesn't seem satisfied with my answer.

"Let me get this straight. You two had a fight?" Bailey laughs lightly, "I better call the president and tell him the moon disappeared because we all thought that would never happen!" She sarcastically states. I can understand where she is coming from because for as long as Bailey knew me, I've never had a serious fight with Reece. Sure we bickered but never to this extent.

I nod my head grimly as I place my English novel of William Shakespear's Othello into my backpack. "We had a fight and now I guess you can say we stopped being friends."