~ 2 ~

Starting today, as of right now, I have officially stopped believing in the Weather Network. Our long distance relationship is done and there is nothing in this world that can prevent the inevitable. I have had enough with its lies. 

Oh, it's going to be a bright and sunny day. The sun will be sure to melt at least the majority of the snow today!

Not.

I glare out the window in the lobby. Instead of any possible signs of an upcoming warm day, I am greeted with dusts of snow being ferociously blown across the street. Pedestrians struggle to maintain a steady pace against the wind while at the same time, clouds block the sun to add more emphasis on the sad weather. 

Thank you Weather Network, really, for misleading me.

I pull up my knitted blue and white scarf to my nose and readjust my large black framed glasses. They say only a few white people can pull them off, me being one of them. Stuffing my hands in my jacket pocket, I debate one last time if it's a better idea to run back to my room and hibernate for the rest of the winter under my blanket.

I shouldn't complain. My Aunt Nina lives up north in the Canadian Maritime. Now she has it rough. 

With one last peaceful moment inside the warmth of my apartment lobby, I allow the doorman to open the door to my doom.

The first gust of wind I experience nearly knocks me off my feet. Determination flows in me the next moment after. I will not lose to you wind!

Making sure to not get caught by surprise again, I focus all my attention on my feet. One step then the next step; that's my mantra. All seems to be going well, I have already turned the corner and know that I am only a few more steps away from the entrance to the subway. 

So close yet so far away.

Being too focused on my feet, I don't see the collision coming. One second I am perfectly fine, gazing at my winter boots, the next second, I feel my head collide with something hard causing me to fall down on my bum.

On the snow covered sidewalk. Talk about ouch and freezing burr.

Still in a daze, I look up to see a lamppost in my way. A few laughs dance around in the wind and travel to my hearing range. I blush instantaneously from embarrassment. Right after, I try to get up but my feet slip on ice and I fall back down again.

Wonderful.

I begin another attempt to get up but a brown, leather gloved hand comes up to my face. Cautiously, I glance up to see a boy around my age, offering me help. I smile sheepishly and accept his offer immediately. It would be more awkward if I just laid there looking awestruck. I mean, it's not everyday that a decent looking guy comes to my aid.

"Um, thanks," I mumble softly once I'm safely on both feet. I look down quickly to glare at the stupid ice patch.

Suddenly, I hear a musical soft laugh fill my ears and the anger I had towards the ice diminishes. I glance up to see the boy smiling, reveal perfect straight teeth.

Then again, this is America. Straight white teeth is an addiction here. 

"You okay there?" He asks and I'm taken back from shock. Not only did he help me up but asked me if I was alright, with a voice that can make any woman swoon. I gulp and will myself not to blush from his hot accent. 

He just had to be British.

"Yah, I'm totally fine. Bumping into lamps is kinda my thing but only in the winter time." I manage to shut myself up before any other embarrassing words come flying out of my mouth but it's too late, he is already cracking himself up.