Chapter 7 Nightmares

“Flame! Snap out of it!” I could feel Jack’s cold hands on my shoulders. I ignored him and just stayed still. I really didn’t feel like moving, since my body’s aching real bad for some  reason.

"Flame! Wake up!” This time it’s Tooth’s voice, she sounded pretty worried. When still no reaction could be gotten out of me, she yelled in my ear, “Scar!”

I sat up quickly, hitting my forehead against Tooth’s, and I looked around as she grunted in pain, rubbing her forehead. “What happened?” I demanded, eyes darting in between every one of the guys.

“You sorta passed out and nearly fell off the sleigh, so…” Jack started, eyeing me cautiously. I quirked my eyebrows at him. “What?” I asked. He shook his head. “Nothing. You were having some sort of seizure.” he said.

“You’ve gotta be kidding…” I muttered, getting on my feet and stretching, then I looked around. The sleigh had landed on the roof of a house. I looked back at the guys and saw them staring at me. “What?”

They snapped out of their little trance and shook their heads, murmuring something about  collecting the teeth, and they left. “Hey, Sandy! Wait!” I called out as he turned to leave. He looked at me, a question mark floating above his head.

“I… uh… Be careful.” I muttered, running my fingers through my hair. He looked at me, confused, then he nodded and left. I sighed and sat on the roof. “Well that’s weird.”

I spun around, ready to punch Jack in the face for sneaking up on me, but he raised his hands, stopping me before I could break his nose. “Calm down!” he exclaimed.

I growled and lowered my fist. “How many times do I have to tell you not to sneak up behind me?” I muttered through clenched teeth. “How many times do I have to tell you to calm down and not be so paranoid?” he retorted. I raised my finger, about to make a comeback, but decided the otherwise and lowered my hand again, sighing.

“So, what’s wrong?” he said, sitting with me. I looked at him, confused. “What?” He rolled his eyes at me and said, “You just passed out and had some sort of seizure, then you asked Sandy to be careful. The Flame Empress I knew won’t do that.”

I quirked my eyebrows at him. “Am I that heartless to you?” I questioned. He shrugged. “Pretty much.” he said. “Well, I’m not. That’s all I’m gonna say.” I said. He eyed me cautiously.

 "You’re implying that you’re hiding something.” he stated. I glared at him. “Weren’t you supposed to be collecting teeth?” I said, eyebrows raised. “I won’t leave until you tell me what you’re hiding.” he said. I sighed and got on my feet. Never thought I’m gonna use my commanding tone for something like this.

I stood straight, right hand holding my spear, the dull end touching the ground, and pointed at him using my left index finger. “I, the Flame Empress, command you to leave and complete your duty of collecting the teeth and not find me before you complete the task.” I ordered.

He raised his eyebrows at me. “Or what?” he asked. I narrowed my eyes at him and said, “Or I shove you into a corset and show you off to the others.” He disappeared before I even finished saying ‘corset’.

I snorted and proceeded to do my job, which is also collecting the teeth. Now I wonder, how long do we have to do this?

***

I checked the teeth I’ve got. There aren’t many teeth in this neighborhood. I sighed and looked around, spotting Jack and Tooth in a kid’s room. I flew towards them and perched on the windowsill, stealthy as possible.

Tooth hovered above the kid and said, “This was always the part I liked most. Seeing the kids…” She folded her arms in front of her chest and wondered aloud, “Why did I ever stop doing this?”