Chapter 13 All Messed Up

Tooth’s POV

“What do you mean this isn’t our Flame Empress?” Bunny asked. Both he and North had confused looks on their faces.

I looked at ‘Flame’, who was looking at me with a hurt look on her face. “What are you talking about, Tooth? It’s me!” she said.

I snorted. “Yeah, sure. I must say, the disguise was very convincing, close to perfect, even, but I think you’ve forgotten some important details.” I pointed at the burn marks on her wrists. “The Flame Empress doesn’t get burn marks. Even if she does, it disappears quickly.”

I gave her a sharp look and continued before she could make up any reasons, “You said Pitch tortured you. Flame would say something like Pitch tried to fight her but failed, so he chained her up to increase his chances of winning.”

‘Flame’ opened her mouth, but I raised a finger to stop her and continued again, “I’m not finished. You said you don’t want us to think badly of you. Based on my knowledge of the Flame Empress, she doesn’t care what people thinks of her. She’s most probably gonna say that she wants to make sure we’re okay since our greatest fighter was taken.”

I lowered my finger. “There were many more reasons, but they’re not easy to explain. Those reasons are the only ones I can explain to others.” I said, ending my speech.

‘Flame’ looked at me for a moment before laughing. I took a step away from her towards Bunny and North. ‘Flame’ got to her feet and looked at us, smiling mockingly. “I thought my acting was pretty good. I actually put myself in her mind to see what she might say. But it appears I didn’t put her childhood friend in my calculations.” she said.

Black sand enveloped her, then it cleared to reveal that it’s Pitch. Bunny and North readied their weapons. Pitch laughed. “Don’t bother. I don’t need to fight you anymore, since the children have lost their beliefs in you, so there’s no point, really.” he said.

“Where’s Flame?” I asked, ignoring everything he said previously. Pitch looked at me. “You don’t need her anymore. She’s my pawn now. The next time you see her will be in a fight.” he said, smirking.

“Where’s Flame, you son of a bitch?!” I yelled, grabbing his collar. Pitch looked at me in shock, and I could hear North and Bunny’s gasps. Okay, I know I’m a Guardian, and I’m not supposed to curse, but really, Pitch’s being too annoying.

Pitch got over his shock and his smirk quickly returned. “Like I said, you don’t need her anymore, so you don’t need to know where she is.” he said and pushed me backwards. No way am I giving up that easily.

I growled and punched his nose. He caught my fist and wiggled his finger in a very annoying way. “Not so fast, Tooth Fairy. Now, since I wasn’t  able to fool you lot, I have more important business to attend to, so if you’ll excuse me.” Pitch said and disappeared into thin air.

I fell on my knees and buried my face in my hands. I could feel Bunny’s paw and North large hand on my shoulders. “It’s okay, Tooth. We’re gonna find her.”

Flame’s POV

My head hurts… What happened? It felt like it’s gonna blow up at any minute. I tried to open my eyes, but my head started spinning soon after that and if it wasn’t for the chains that were restraining me, I would’ve fallen. Wait, what?

My eyes flew open and I looked at my wrists, ignoring the throbbing pain in my head. They’re cuffed by a thick material that seems strong enough to restrain my movements. There were chains connecting the cuffs to a wall behind me.

I tried to pull my hands out of the cuffs. No, it's no good. I slowly looked around, judging the situation. It’s a dark room. That’s all I could see. I tried pulling at the cuffs again. I could move, but can’t get away from the wall.