Chapter 22 Leo's Story

Jack's POV

“You… set this whole thing up?” I repeated. My grip on his shirt loosened and he pushed me away from him before fixing his shirt.

“Yes, I set this whole thing up. How many times do we have to repeat that?” he said and rolled his eyes at me, as if I just asked him why one plus one equals two.

“But… I don’t understand. Why? I thought you’re on our side! You’re with the Darkness all this time?!” I started yelling near the end.

He raised a finger, as if correcting me. “That’s where you’re wrong. I’m not siding with you guys or the Darkness, for that matter. There’s only one side I had ever been on, and that is my dear sister’s.”

“How the hell does giving your little sister to the Darkness count as siding with her?!” I hissed. Is he insane? How does his head work?!

“Wrong again, Frost. I’m not giving my sister to the Darkness. I’m giving the Darkness to my sister. I’m giving power to my sister. All of this… to make up for my mistake.” He said that somewhat proudly.

I looked at him in shock, and, after a while, shook my head slowly. “I don’t get how your mind works.” He’s crazy. What the hell runs through his head? No, it’s no use questioning it. I’ll never get it anyways.

“Then let me tell you, Jack Frost.” he said.

“In our past life, before we became who we are, Scar and I were close siblings. I loved her. I’d do anything for her. But I had a weak physique. As an older brother, that’s not good. I was sensitive to diseases, and hemophilia certainly doesn’t make it any better for me. I got picked on a lot by the larger guys because I was so skinny. She always stood up for me ever since she learned to fight. Before long, she took on the older sibling role and protected me, the one who’s supposed to be the older brother, the one who’s supposed to protect her.”

“I remember how Father was so proud of her. But I know for a fact he’s disappointed in me. Really, someone like him having a son who can’t stand up to himself? He never showed his disappointment, but you don’t have to be a genius to know.” Leo looked down with a bitter look on his face as he said that.

“Even so… I still loved my sister. We remained close for a very long time. Then Father died. After that night of her crying her eyes out to me… She put up a wall around herself and won’t let anyone close to her. It’s painful, especially for me, her older brother whom she used to share everything with, but I accepted that she needs her space.”

“Eventually, after a few years, we started getting distant. Sometime after that, I started envying her. I started hating her. I… I don’t even know how I can think that.” Leo looked ashamed of himself admitting this. But then again, who wouldn’t be?

“So… One night, we were all going to this gathering my father’s old friend held. She was with Tooth, as always, and I was alone, as I always was ever since we started getting distant. Deep down, I think I couldn’t accept the fact that she let Tooth get close to her while keeping me at a distance. So I sat alone, those overwhelming thoughts eventually getting the best of me. The next thing I know… I was standing in front of the burning building.” He took a deep breath before continuing.

“I searched for her in the crowd of people that had gathered outside the building, but when I couldn’t find her, I panicked. The part of me that hated her was happy, but the older brother part of me was killing me. How can I not look for her? So I ran back in.”

“I searched everywhere, until I found her. She was already dead, crushed by that chandelier, but she was still holding that spear Father gave her. I broke down there. What have I done? I killed her. I may not remember actually starting the fire, but…” Leo’s voice cracked at the last part and he placed a hand on his face.