Chapter 15: Valentines Dance [Part 2/2]

Previous Chapter:

I'm just about to ask her to dance with me when someone suddenly stands in front of us. I don't even have to guess to know that it's him -- Alex Moore.

"Hello Natalie, would you dance with me?" he requests politely as he holds out his hand and smiles warmly at her, but I know it's all an act.

Why the hell would he ask her when I'm about to do the same thing?

Without even waiting for Natalie's response, I stand up and declare vehemently, practically using every word like it's poison, "Don't even think about it, Moore."

-Chase-

The anger automatically dissolves the moment I blurt out my stupid thought. Don't even get me start on how the tone I have spoken sounds exactly like a possessive boyfriend, which I really don't mean to sound like one. My intentional tone is steady and cool, not demanding and mental, but of course, my big mouth decides that I should sound like a crazy guy just to achieve the goal of Natalie and Alex staring at me like I have just escaped from a zombie apocalypse.

Somebody get me a duct tape so I can seal my big mouth.

I guess what makes me blurt out the whole thing is because I saw Alex trying to kiss Natalie last Monday, and all of the sudden, the anger and jealousy just surge into my body.

Wait, not jealousy.

I'm just angry that's all.

Yea right.

Shut up, brain.

What astounds me the most isn't that Natalie doesn't seem annoyed at my outburst, (She looks more confused, to be exact.) it is Alex's reaction that surprises me. Instead of being angry or frighten, he simply stays calm and bows slowly, "My apologies."

Of course, his next move bewilders me even more because he hands me a blue card that's folded carefully from his pockets and speaks quiet enough so that only I can hear what he's saying, "Happy early birthday from Katelyn. By the way, I know you like Natalie Ryals, so don't deny it. The way you act around her -- it's the same way you used to act around Katelyn."

Everything clicks like a drumstick beating thunderously at a fast tempo; I should have figured it out earlier, way before I started to teach Natalie. It all makes sense now, the announced new target, his attempted kiss, and now the requested dance -- a test for me. I should have expected for him to listen to the stupid rumors of Natalie and me in order to get his revenge, but the problem is that I don't like Natalie. I'm just trying to protect her.

Then there's the other thought: Katelyn remembered?

In fourth grade, Katelyn and I had made a promise that we would each make a birthday card depending on the number of our favorite number. Since her favorite number was eleven at that time, I made one on her eleventh birthday. Mine? It's eighteen, and next week happened to be my birthday.

I look at the blue rectangular card; its corners each colored with neon green markers along with orange polka-dots on the front cover with the words "Happy Birthday Chase!" printed boldly on it. By looking at the stickers and the drawn Peter Pan pictures on the inside of the card, I guess that it probably took Katelyn quite a while to make it. I tighten the grip on the card, almost wrinkling it in the process.

Stupid, why did you waste your time to make this?

It's not going to take back what happened to us.

Looking up, I see Alex walking away from Natalie, who is now glancing at me with a suspicious look on her face. Before Alex leaves, he whispers again to me, "I just gave her a brief warning about you. Better watch your back, Parker," and leaves with a satisfied smirk on his face. For a split second, I have the thought that Alex have told her my secret, but then I remember that he still doesn't know anything about it because Katelyn hasn't told him.

Not yet.

Who knows when Katelyn's going to tell Alex like what she did to everyone else?

Before I realize what is happening to me, I have already step up to the trash can and crumble up the card thoughtlessly, tossing it in there like it can delete the memories and anger for the third time today. For once, I'm not bothered to take another look at the damaged card nor do I care if it really took Katelyn a day to make it. Yes, I'm a heartless and cruel creature, but that just protects me from getting betrayed by people all the time.

Almost instantly, I feel the weight on my shoulders lift, lighter than before; I clench and un-clench my fists as an effort to relax myself as I head back and see Natalie biting on her nails.

"Don't believe whatever Alex told you. It's a lie."

She gazes at me questioningly with one eyebrow arched upwards, "Why? He's telling the truth anyway. You play with girls, and then you leave them like they mean nothing to you. For all I know, you could be playing with me."

Alex Moore, why would you tell her that?

Because you hurt his cousin.

She betrayed me in the first place.

"So all this time, you think that I am playing with you? Natalie, I'm not. Maybe I was at the beginning, but I consider you as one of my friend now. And if you want to know why I like to flirt with you, it's mainly because your reactions to it makes me laugh," I stare back at her, trying to make her understand that I'm not lying.

Okay, maybe a little too much information. I swear, the minute I get to the car, I'm sealing this big mouth shut with duct tapes.

Her eyes widens and a small smile gradually escapes from her pink lips, "You just called me "Natalie"?"

"Yes, but I do prefer to call you sugar cane," I smirk playfully at her.

She groans out loud, "You just ruined my happy moment, Chase."

"Well, you know how to make me happy? Give me a kiss," I clap my two hands together and pucker my lips like I imagine how other people do.

I'm one hundred percent aware that I'm flirting big time with her, but I'm also one hundred percent aware that this is entertaining.

"Sure," She winks at me and blows an air kiss to me. We can all say that her response surprise the heck out of me. She takes out her phone and grins, "So before I leave because my mom's waiting for me, I have one more thing to say. Thanks, Chase, for helping me."

"Just thanks? No real kiss?" She frowns, and I stop myself, "Kidding, but I also want to ask you something." The playfulness tone vanishes and is replaced with seriousness, "What if one day, you find out that I'm not the guy that you think I am? Would you still be my friend?"

Pursing her lips, she answers after several seconds of quietness, "I can't promise that, but I'll tell you one thing, Chase Parker. The last month that I spent with you was actually pretty fun, even though you annoyed the waffles out of me. So, for now, I'll be your friend." With that, she turns on her heels and walks out of the gym, leaving me staring at her.

Of course Natalie, you're going to use food names.

Song: "Oath" Cher Lloyd ft. Becky G.

A/N: I hate (not comfortable writing in a guy's point of view) and love (makes him mysterious) writing about Chase's past for some reason. So we kinda sorta did have a Catalie/Chatalie/Nase (Whatever ship names you prefer) moment, and I hope you liked it.

So... just a question. Can anyone guess what happened to Chase that made him a player?

(Sorry for any mistakes, I promise I will edit this story once it's completed.)

Comment and Vote! :D