Chapter 3: Frozen Addict Talks To Pizza Guy

I scroll casually toward Seth's truck, his truck keys in my palm. Twirling the key hook around my index finger, I whistle, or rather attempt to because my whistles always happen to sound more like blowing empty air, as I wait patiently for him.

"Nat! Give me back my keys!" He races frantically to me as he adjusts his backpack strap, which is about to slide off his shoulder. In return, I roll my eyes at him and grin widely. Now who's going to say that "I am tough enough to carry my backpack using only one shoulder!" when you have five textbooks and three 2-inch binders in there? (Maybe there's other things inside but that's all that I know.)

"Three reasons please?" I request, still rotating the keys around as I ambled leisurely to the driver's side of his truck.

Heaving and panting, (I can't really blame him, I mean if it's me, I'll have trouble carrying a million pound book bag too!) he manages to answer after groaning in frustration, "Here we go again." He then answers to satisfy my pleading, "Number one, you can't drive. Number two, you haven't even earned your learner's permit." I frown at him while he, in turn, simply grins cheekily, "Number three, just give me the keys, please." He's now standing in front of me, arms crossed and looking straight at my eyes, serious.

I gaze back at him, welcoming his challenge, only to end up losing the staring contest we are currently having. "Okay okay," I thrust the keys to him and saunter to the passenger's side. He unlocks the doors, and I get inside the car. Staring ahead, I mange to see Chase walking out of the school brick building, followed by a group of giggling girls (or in other words, his fangirls).

"Sorry ladies," I can hear him say, "I'm going home. See you all tomorrow." He then proceed to perform his infamous wink as he waves his fangirls a goodbye. Since he just have to act "cool" around everyone, especially the girls, he swings his book bag over his right shoulder effortlessly. I swear one of the girls started squealing.

How come he can do that easily unlike Seth?

Oh yeah... He has less books in his book bag...

He's still a fricking show-off.

"So who are you looking at?" Seth grins gleefully, an obvious sign that he's about to tease me, "Ah... I see it's Chase Parker... Natty has a crush on someone!" He song-sings as he pulls his seat belt and buckles it.

"Shut up!" I smack him on his shoulder with my history binder, not hard enough, but also not soft enough, "I don't like him!"

He laughs softly, "Okay, chill Nat, I'm just kidding. So tell me about your lunch tale." He puts in key to ignition and begins backing away from the parking lot and toward the road while he watches cautiously at the back view mirror.

I buckle my seat belt as well and groan out loud, "Ugh, the worst..."

+ + +

By the time I am finished with telling my little incident with Chase Parker, the truck is already parked outside of my house.

It certainly didn't help much that Seth was laughing the whole time I had described the "story." He would either comment that I'm an "odd little child" or that I have "funny face expressions when I talk."

"Alright, bye Nutella," he says, using his nickname for me. "See you tomorrow. Tell Makenna I said hi."

"Yea, bye. See you tomorrow. And I will." I climb into the backseat of his car to retrieve the coffee cup I had left this morning. He drives away after I'd left the vehicle, whistling "If You're Happy And You Know It."

Once I'm inside of the house, I take off my dirty tennis shoes and see my six-year-old sister, Makenna, slouched on the couch in the living room, watching SpongeBob Squarepants with her legs propped up on the low stool in front of her.