Chapter 8

Eridan was awakened from his nap by an incessant banging on his hive door. He groggily sat up from his place on the couch and looked around the living room. It was dark and he was alone. He grumbled and threw the blankets off of himself. Faintly, he could hear the sound of typing coming from down the hall. The banging continued.

"Sol!" the sea dweller shouted irritably in the direction of the hallway. "Answer the fuckin' door!"

"I'm buthy," Sollux's voice floated out to the living room, his typing didn't waver.

"God damn it, Sol!" Eridan growled in frustration. "Why did we have to tell everyone where we live?"

"Becauthe they would've kicked our atheth if we didn't," the yellow blood called. Eridan rolled his eyes and struggled to stand from the couch, one hand splayed out behind him and the other on his stomach for balance.

"Calm the fuck down out there," he hollered at the front door. The sea dweller finally made it over to the source of the noise and quickly undid the locks. He opened the door just wide enough to greet Karkat on the other side with his scowling face.

"What the fuck do you want, peasant?" Eridan asked in irritation. The shorter troll remained impassive.

"Wow, does your matesprit let you kiss him with that elitist mouth?" Karkat snapped back. Eridan appeared unamused. "It's about damn time one of you came to the door."

"Again, what the fuck do you want?" the sea dweller asked impatiently.

"Who the hell pissed in your First Meal flakes today?" the shorter troll retorted. "What did I fucking do to you?"

"Besides bein' hatched way too far down the hemospectrum for me to care?" Eridan replied nastily. He felt a little bad for being so offensive but there was no way he was going to apologize. Apologizing just was not something that he did. Karkat just stared wide-eyed at the violet blood for a moment, temporarily stunned by the below the belt insult. Eventually he recovered and narrowed his eyes at the troll on the other side of the door.

"Just get Sollux," Karkat growled.

"Oh too bad for you," Eridan said in false disappointment, "he's busy. Guess you'll have to come back some other time." He started to shut the door on the other troll but was stopped when Karkat quickly grabbed the door and tried to force it open.

"I don't think so," the Cancer said as he strained to wrench the door away from the high blood.

"Don't you fuckin' open this door!" Eridan shouted near panic. "I'm indecent!" he lied. Karkat let go of the door immediately with a muttered curse. There was a moment where both trolls tried to catch their breath.

"Fine," Eridan finally relented. "I'll go get Sol for you. Stay right here," he instructed before slamming the door shut and marching off to retrieve his matesprit.

"Sol," he announced his presence as he entered the office. "Kar's at the door so get off your ass and go let him in because I can't fuckin' do it. He wants to see you anyways." Sollux rolled his eyes and saved his work. He could already tell that Eridan was in one of those mood swings he was prone to lately.

"Alright, you got me," he said as he held up his hands in defeat. "I'm going." The psionic stood from his computer chair.

"Try not to make it too long because I'm goin' to be stuck back here until he leaves so that he doesn't see me," Eridan reminded him.

"That'th fine, I'm not really looking forward to thith anywath. It'th the 'what elthe have you been hiding from me' converthation that I already had to have with AA. What maketh it tho shitty ith that I have to thit there and convinthe two clothe friendth that I won't lie to them anymore while thtill not mentioning the fact that I'm going to be a luthuth." He sighed and kissed Eridan on the forehead. "Let me know if you need anything," he added before heading to the front door. The first thing he noticed was that Karkat looked way angrier than usual.