Chapter 18

"people are talking...let 'em talk...maybe people are jerks...but not you..." A World Alone~Lorde

I'd had enough, all this time I was trying to forget the past. But I couldn't. I walked out of my room and went down the stairs.

"Good morning (F/N)!" My dad said to me. I only nodded as I went to the kitchen to fish out something to eat. Then I remembered all the food was probably in the dining room. I sighed closing the fridge. I went into the dining room and sat in a chair. I poured myself some orange juice and placed some toast and jam on my plate. I was out of it right now...my dad noticed. "Something wrong?" He asked me. I shrugged.

"You could say so." I said.

"What is it?" He said slowly closing his laptop, that he always had at breakfast.

"...how did you find me?" I said finally. He looked at me with a blank expression.

"Well, your mother and I wanted a child. But your mom said that there were already enough children out there without a home. So we decided to adopt. We searched for a long time. 2 years. Then finally we found you. We never got to see any pictures, and at first I was...skeptical. But soon I realized that you were perfect." He said smiling.

I smiled faintly.

"Well, I heard you were going to meet up with...Tadashi." He said almost bitterly.

"Oh yeah." I said. "I was going to meet up with him at the café." I said taking a bite of my toast.

"Ok, well remember be back before 8:00. We're going to the gala." Dad added as I got up.

"Got it, 8:00. My phones on if you want me back sooner." I said hugging him goodbye.

"Ok, how are hype getting there?"

"I'll walk. I need some...peace." I said as I made sure my phone was in my pocket.

"Ok, be careful." He said. "I'll tell Mom!"

"Ok, bye!" I said walking out the door. I knew the way to the café well enough. As I walked I began to think of how I'd find him. The one that ruined my life. The one that took everything in that single day. Did someone tell him to do it? Was it just a coincidence? Why didn't he go after me and...Austin? I chuckled. I felt like I was in a James Bond movie.

But the thing was it was all true. I shivered despite the lack of breeze on the hot day.

My phone rang. I sighed guessing it was my dad calling to check on me. I took out my phone and without looking at the phone number picked it up. That was a mistake.

"Hello?"

"Someone's going to die in that Gala. And once their dead there is no stopping them." A deep raspy voice said.

"Who's this?" I asked surprised by the calmness of my own voice.

"The Help. In the bushes to your immediate right is a brown box." I looked to my right and sure enough concealed in the bushes was a brown cardboard box.

"What do you want from me?"

"I don't want anything from you. They do."