Chapter 30

I still feel horrible ...so this story is borderline...

"What?"

"I said we're leaving."

"Like...escaping."

"Yep, you're boyfriends hiding out there." I reddened.

"He's not my boyfriend." I muttered.

"Talked like he was." He shot back.

"Like what?"

"Said he'd kill me when he was free, changed his attitude when I set him free." He added with a snark smile. I gave him a look. "He said that if you were hurt he'd burn the place down."

"I don't need to know...everything." He shrugged.

"You asked." It was as if we weren't in a cold facility, like I hadn't been kidnapped. And I was bonding with a stranger. A familiar stranger. I looked at him once more but the feeling washed away, replaced with panic.

"We should go."

"Your call." We strode over to the exit.

"There!" I turned. Our leisure attitude had cost us. It hadn't occurred to me that Jason would be armed. But when he pulled out the gun and began to fire at the guards everything came crashing in.

I'll wait until the right moment. It's too risky-

"There!" They'd found us, I pulled out the only weapon I'd been given. Guess he'd suspected me all along. I covered her and shot to distract them. They took injuries almost too seriously here.

"Get out!" I shouted. "You've got nothing to defend yourself! Open that door and don't look back." I turned to face her, dangerous at a time like this only to find her standing rigid in place.

"I'm not leaving without you."

Just like all those years before. Never wanting to leave my side.

"Open the door." I ordered. She looked at me with doubt but opened it slowly. The sun outside gleamed, beckoning me and her, to just run.

But I had run for too long. I pulled the pen out of my pocket, if I jammed it in just right. It was a grenade. I pulled the jammed trigger back one more time and threw it.

"Jas-" I picked her up and ran.

3...2...1

I heard a huge explosion behind the two of us. What was it that he threw? It couldn't possibly matter at this point. I was too scared to look around at where we were, I was too frightened to admire the warmth of the sun on my body.

All I felt was pain, a wrenching headache. It pushed through the depths of my mind, it pushed back to my earliest memories, my worst ones. Things I had no idea were tucked away in my brain. Were these...the forgotten ones?

The ones I was forced to forget, the ones that were deemed unimportant. When clearly they weren't.

A boy holding my hand and leading me to a younger version of my mother.

That same boy balancing me as I rode a bike.

And him again walking out the door while I cried for him to stay.

His face became clearer and clearer with each new memory. A name coming up from the muddles of my memory.

Jack...Justin...Jason...

My head shot up and I looked straight at the face of the 17 year old boy. Named Jason. Exactly five years older than me.

"Jason?" It wasn't like before, like when I uttered his name with no connection. He sensed the change and slowed.

"Yes."

"You...you did this to me!" He refused to cooperate, he got our parents killed, he got Austin killed, he almost got me killed.

He was my brother.

He left us all for dead.

And he just saved me.

I don't know what to feel anymore.

"Yes, I did. And I'm sorry." I couldn't say anything now. All I could do was let the tears fall. He held me closer and I wanted to stay like that forever.

But it could never be.

"I'll explain it all. I promise, I'm done running. I'm never leaving your side. I promise. Cross my heart, hope to-"

"You're not going to die. I won't let you."

And I had thought I was alone.

"Oh, it's you." I turned to find Brandon. He had hidden behind some rocks a few feet away.

He came out only for me to see bandages peaking out from his arms. My heart sank.

"What happened to you?" I asked. I went up to him as he sat down. I was the cause of this, I looked over at Jason. At my brother.

Did Brandon hear what I had said?

I assumed the worst.

"The little diversion I threw isn't going to keep them down for long. Let's move." In the midst of my memory recovery Jason had grabbed the bags he'd recovered from that side room. He tossed one to me and was about to throw one to Brandon.

"Wait!" I said, he paused and both of them looked at me. "I'll carry Brandon's bag."

"No." It was Brandon.

"You're still in a serious condition. I would've let you recover...but he would've found what he needed by then."

"So? I can still carry my bag." He countered. Suddenly Jason was up in Brandon's face, in an instant Brandon was on the ground clutching his side.

"No, you can't." I stood rigid in my spot. Jason tossed another bag into my arms and helped Brandon up. "I don't want anymore arguments. For the little time that we'll be together...I'm in charge."

"Little time?" Slowly I lost spirit.

"I can't stay with you."

"Huh?"

"You have to!" I half-shouted still afraid the others would find us. "Why are you leaving me again?" The memories once half-erased boiled over as I recalled the last time I had to say goodbye.

"It's not safe."

"I wasn't even safe alone!" I said.

"If they knew I was your brother they wouldn't bother with me. My birthday is in a couple of months. Once I'm an adult no one will want to help me."

"But you're a genius."

"I am, but I have nothing."

"But you have me."

***

I'm on a roll

Your welcome :)

~mayu