Chapter 31

He paused unsure how to reply to my words. He had me.

"And if I stayed, I'd lose you too."

"You wouldn't."

"There are a lot of uncompassionate people out there who want me dead. You're my weakness, they'd kidnap you just like Dr. K."

"You wouldn't let them." I felt like a child arguing with the only family I had.

"I'm sorry, but once you get back to your foster family I'm leaving." He declared promptly ending the argument, if it was one at all. He turned and began walking off, I rushed to go help Brandon but he held up a hand stopping me.

"I don't need your help." He replied sharply. I lowered my arms in defeat, how many times would I be letting others down? I grabbed my pack and began to follow Jason. No matter what I did I couldn't force myself to look up and ahead. Instead I lowered my head...in shame.

I don't know if Jason felt any regret in his words, I just hoped somewhere deep down...he did.

~~~

"Why aren't we stopping?"

"The sun isn't going to set for another hour and by that time we would have made it to the safe house."

"Safe house?" Brandon and Jason talked back and forth as I followed behind sluggishly. Overwhelmed by everything that had happened.

Only a few hours ago I was strapped down to a metal chair about to be dissected for memories that I couldn't recall.

And now I suddenly have a genius brother who erased my memories and indirectly caused the deaths of my parents...his parents and little brother.

He was family, and I hated and loved it.

"(F/N)." I looked up, "We're here." Rather than a safe house, it seemed like a safe city.

We had climbed up a hill and were now viewing a huge city. Or the suburb section of it.

"Let's go." Jason announced. He began going down and I followed. Brandon didn't speak, I only heard grunts as he went over every rock visible.

We made it so that we were level with the buildings around us.

"Where are we?" Brandon asked out loud. The signs were in English, the freeways were jammed with traffic. This could've been anywhere.

"We're in Los Angeles." That was so far away from London, I looked at Brandon. He realized it too.

"How long were we missing?"

"It's been a week." Jason said grimly. They probably thought we were dead.

I held back my tears. I was too much of a weakness already.

"We're meeting a friend. But don't say anything until I introduce you two."

Both me and Brandon nodded but we weren't sure what we'd find. Especially in the suburbs of a metropolitan city.

Where filth was normal, and crime was at an all time high. (I am NOT hating on Los Angeles, it's called plot.)

Jason...my brother...lead us through alleyways and dangerous streets with dirty stores and fluorescent lights shining during the day.