Chapter 33

Guess who finally updated?!

I don't know what anyone is thinking. I don't know what I should believe.

What will happen after we get home?

Will they let me go to school? Will I become homeschooled? Is everyone okay?

I had tried blocking out the kidnapping, the women behind me in the stairs turning out to be a deadly force.

The unfairness of it all.

This is what I thought about in the many hours it took to reach San Fransokyo. I didn't enjoy the time to think, I hated it.

It was bad of me.

To work and not confront the emotions I felt, but I didn't know another way to cope.

When my parents died, I worked to comfort Austin, and when he passed...I worked on getting adopted.

I worked and worked, and even now I'm working to get home. Working to restore something that was never there. And working to convince my brother of something he doesn't want.

And crying...never seemed logical.

I was smart, that's what I'd heard. But my brains couldn't help me. Is this my life? Destined to be tainted by regret and refusal?

"We're here." I looked outside and saw the darkness of San Fransokyo. We didn't drive past this area on the way to the house, and obviously I was never taken here when we went to the city.

It was new to me, and I still felt a long way home.

They pulled over alongside an alley. The guard stepped out and opened the door. I came out and looked around. At the dirty sidewalk and scattered litter, and the neon lights that glittered in the night.

This wasn't my home. Or the part I remembered. Nostalgia clouded my mind.

Brandon pushed past me and so did Jason.

"You're from here, find you're way." They said.

"Do we owe you?" Jason asked.

"Yes." I held my breath, "Your complete and utter silence." I sighed. Guess they weren't fans of charity work. The guard stepped into the van and they drove off in the direction from which we had come.

"What now?"

"We get you two home." He said.

"Got any money?"

"Of course not."

"Then we're walking?"

"Indeed."

"Any of you know the way?"

"I do." Brandon spoke up and took the lead. I was between them. Jason walked behind me.

I didn't want to look into the eyes that looked like mine anyway.

Tell me why you're sad
Maybe I can heal you
Tell if you want to cry
Maybe I'll let you on my shoulder
Tell me...

Songs blasting from minibars came out onto the streets. EDM, soul, pop, and cheesy songs that I didn't know the genre of.

They were distractions.

From a world of problems.

"How could you know the way?" I asked. Brandon looked back at me for a split second.

"I've been here a few times." The way he spoke made me nervous, but I felt flooded with pity.

"Why would you be here?" Jason cut in.