Chapter 29: Leaving Paradise

I couldn't go outside the hut, and I definitely won't be staying here any longer.

Everyone was looking at us as if we were some kind of shit sent by Hades. In some ways, we kind of were. We disturbed their peace. Any minute now they could be ambushed by harpies because they tracked us down. I couldn't go outside. Not without feeling guilty. Not without feeling broken. I can't bear to see the look on Mr. Thatcher's face. He was right. Partially, but he was right. We brought danger everywhere we went. And Vicky is gone. This time was different. Before, there was an assurance that she'd come back. Now, I don't even know if she will.

By midnight, when everyone else was sleeping, I went to the beach. "It's time to end this." I kept muttering. For a few minutes, I stood there staring at the sea. What if we didn't come here? What if we didn't ambush Scylla? What if we didn't follow the notebook? What if they didn't come in the first place? The question was quite clear: I'd live a normal life as a college student, living in an apartment with my best friend and we'd be happy together. I started to walk towards the water. That life would have been the best. But that's not mine anymore. Even after they'd leave, I can't have a normal life because I know the world isn't. I know things that normal people don't. "I just want to be normal." I whispered. I was waist-deep into the water now. I kept walking.

Underworld. What is there? If I die, would I find Vicky there? Is she held hostage there or something? What happens when I go down there? The questions just kept coming and coming. I was irrational. I was going to kill myself to see Vicky again. It will work. And if it does, I'm going to say sorry to her. I'm the root of all this.

"Yhanie?" Neck-deep. I just have to keep walking. And then I'm gone. I'll be free from all my problems. I'm sorry if I couldn't go to college. Who am I even saying sorry to? No one. I have no one.

"Yhanie!" Someone grabbed my waist and pulled me into a hug. I tried to kneel to submerge underwater but he kept trying to stand me up. "Please don't, Yhanie. Let's talk this over."

"Hermes." I cried. He was walking to the shore now, his arm wrapped around my waist dragging me with him. I was crying so hard I didn't know if it was seawater or tears on my face. "Hermes, let me go." I said and he did. He was fuming. He was glaring at me. "Why waste your beautiful life, Yhanie? I know things have been hard but are you really that willing to leave everyone you love?" He yelled. I cried harder and shook my head. "I have no one, Hermes --"

"Damn, Yhanie! You have us! You have Poseidon! You have Athena! You have Zeus, Ares, Hera, Aphrodite. You even have me! Can you imagine how'd we feel when you leave us?" He asked, pulling his hair and sighing. I heaved a deep breath and slapped him. "How dare you to say that to me. How dare you ask how you would feel if I leave you. What if I ask you how would I feel, huh? You are fucking leaving me and the only person who'd be there for me when you guys are leaving is, guess what, gone! What's the point now?!" I screamed. He hugged me and I cried harder. "Please understand me, Hermes."

"I'm sorry." He said. I nodded into his chest and sighed. "I'm sorry, too. I'm sorry for doing that." I whispered. He kept rubbing my back trying to comfort me. "Please don't do that again." He pleaded. All I did was nod. "I want to get out of here." I sniffed. "This island is driving me insane." I added. "We'll be off first thing in the morning." He said. I started to walk out of the water. "I meant now, Hermes."

I have no idea how we're going to get out of here, but we are. I'd be driven to insanity by guilt if I stay here any longer. I just have to do one more thing. "Wake them up Hermes. I just have to talk to someone." I said. He nodded and entered our hut. I went to the one next to ours. I grabbed a knife from their kitchen and creeped silently into the bedroom, putting a knife over Mr. Thatcher's throat. "Wake up." I whispered, careful not to wake his wife. He opened his eyes and almost gaped at the knife I was holding. "Stand up and go outside." I mouthed. Carefully, he sat up from the bed and walked with me outside. I pinned him on a wall as soon as we were out. "Where's the Trident?"