9.

"Why am I seeing Ruby and Luke holding hands?" Joss asks. All of our friends are staring at us now, Calum included. I notice his jaw is clenched, making his jawline more prominent than usual.

"Because we are holding hands," Luke says simply, sitting down on a vacant seat and dragging me down with him. He pulls me onto his lap and wraps his arms around my stomach. He's playing this more that I thought he would.

"One of you guys better explain yourselves real fast," Michael says.

Luke squeezes his arms tighter around me, "Tell them, Ruby."

"We're dating," I say as casually as I can. My cheeks feel like they're on fire.

"Yeah, right," Heath laughs. "Like Hemmings would ever settle down."

"We're dating, not getting married," Luke glares at him, and then brushes a piece of my strawberry blonde hair behind my ear. "And she's a special girl, this one." 

Out of the corner of my eye, I swear I see Luke look directly at Calum and for the first time, I wonder if this plan might actually work. Joss and Michael are still staring at us, their faces screwed up like they can't believe this is really happening. 

I still can't believe this is really happening.

"When did this happen?" Joss asks, probably wondering why I didn't text her the minute it happened.

"Friday night," Luke says quickly, which is lucky because I am about to answer with Saturday morning. "After Ashton's party. We walked home together, and then Ruby kissed me, and I just knew I had to make her mine," his face turns from our audience to mine. "Isn't that right, baby?"

I smile as wide as I can, "It sure is... darling."

The boys all shrug and resume their conversations, including Calum. However, Joss, is still staring at me. "Luke, can I have your girlfriend for a moment?"

The two of us set off for the girls bathroom, with her dragging me by my elbow the entire time. Once we're inside, I pretend to be fixing up my hair in the mirror while Joss stands behind me with her arms folded. "You and Luke, really?"

"Yes, really," I say, my eyes not meeting hers in the reflection.

"But why?" Her nose screws up. "It's... Luke. He's lanky and like, weirdly obsessed with his Mum, and he's never had a relationship more serious than a one night stand."

"Hey," I frown, feeling surprisingly defensive over my fake relationship. Maybe it's not real, but he's still my best friend and while Luke has his flaws, he is a good person. "He's also really sweet when he wants to be, and he makes me laugh, and he cares about me."

"But what about Calum?"

Uh-oh.

I hadn't thought about how I'd explain this one. It's easy to say nice things about Luke because I really do believe all of those things. My feelings towards Calum are harder to fake though, and now my heart is racing beneath my white school blouse as I lie, "I don't like him anymore."

"Since when?" Joss rolls her eyes dramatically.

"Since Friday night?" I turn to face her and unfortunately my answer sounds more like a question. Way to be convincing, Ruby.

She's staring at me, evaluating me with my brown eyes, trying to figure out if I'm telling the truth or not. The longer she stares, the more nervous I'm becoming. This was never going to work. She's my best friend, of course she'll see right through me. I may as well just give myself up now.

"Okay," she smiles suddenly, and I blink at her. Maybe my best friend doesn't know me as well as I think she does.

"Okay," I smile back, the two of us leaving the bathroom to head to class. Then, when my heart has resumed to it's regular pace she adds, "I guess this is the end of your virgin days then."

I'm in Legal Studies now which is coincidentally my favourite class but our teacher hasn't arrived yet (he's the most unorganised teacher I've ever had) which is a good thing because Joss's words are nagging away at me. I think about telling her that I'm not ready to have sex, but she knows I've been ready to jump Calum for at least six months now.

I take advantage of the absent teacher and text Luke.

To Luke: That was quite a show you put on this morning.

From Luke: just showing everyone how much i love my girlfriend ;)

From Luke: change my contact name to boyfriend. with like a heart emoji or something

To Luke: You're taking this way too far.

To Luke: Joss thinks we're going to have sex.

From Luke: jeez ruby. i told you no sex. control yourself

To Luke: You're a pig.

From Luke: but you love me ;) see you after school baby

I roll my eyes, sliding my phone back into the pocket of my red plaid skirt as Mr Fields walks in. If this charade of ours lasts for longer than a week, I'll be surprised.

"Psst," someone whispers from behind me. "Ruby."

After glancing at our teacher, who's too busy setting up his laptop to notice anything, I turn around to see Tess, a blonde girl I only really know as Heath's girlfriend. "Heath and I are going to the movies after school. You and Luke should come with."

She smiles at me, as if we're friends even though we've never spoken before. "I can't," I answer just as casually. "I have to pick up my little brother from school."

"Next time then," she smiles, and then adds. "You two are really cute together. I can tell her really likes you."

I smile weakly, before turning back around. If only she knew.