42.

"Come on, hurry up!" It's Friday afternoon and I'm at Alfie's school, watching him climb into the car at snails pace. "I've got so much to do this afternoon." Because little brothers are up there with the worlds most annoying creatures, Alfie shoots me a humoured look and then proceeds to put his seatbelt on with slow exaggeration. "Please."

His face cracks into a smile and he finishes putting his seatbelt on promptly. "What's the rush?"

"I've got things to do. How was your day?"

Alfie ignores my question. "What kind of things?"

"I've got to go buy butter, and then I'm going to make cookies, and then... Calum's coming over." I hold my breath as I wait for Alfie's reaction.

Even though I'm focused on getting out of the school car park, I still catch that look from the corner of my eye: the narrowed eyebrows hovering over Alfie's face as he processes what I've just said. "Calum's coming over," he repeats slowly. "Tonight?"

"Tonight," I answer cautiously. I don't know why I feel so nervous about this.

"Okay," Alfie shrugs. "Can we have pizza?"

"No! There's been too much pizza lately. I'm making pasta." And then because I'm feeling so relieved Alfie didn't make a big deal about Calum coming over, I add, "But I'll let you have a cookie before dinner."

At the supermarket, Alfie and I split up to work through our shopping list. I've almost finished my half when I run into our neighbour, Mrs Quart. She lives next door to us. Not the side Luke lives, the other one. Dad once let it slip that he thinks Mrs Quart is an old nosy bat. He's right, I'm thinking as she says hello to me, peering into my basket full of tomatoes, basil and butter.

"Cooking something?"

"Pasta for dinner. Cookies for dessert." I smile politely, hoping to get out of here quickly.

"A young girl like you shouldn't be running a household. Your father shouldn't burden you with adult responsibilities."

"I don't mind." Dad's definitely right: nosy old bat. "I've really got to get going - "

She touches my arm gently. "You know, my daughter, Cathy, she must be about the same age as your father. She's not married, either."

"And what, you want to set them up on a blind date or something?" The words slip and laughter follows.

"Wouldn't it be nice to have a woman in the house again?" She looks at me sympathetically. "You wouldn't feel so alone."

"I don't feel alone." And I am the woman of the house, I internally scream. I'm almost an adult. I do the groceries and pick Alfie up from school, I know how to do laundry and pay bills. I've had sex! I'm as much as a woman as I can be! Before anything else can come out of my clumsy mouth, I spot Alfie exiting the confectionary aisle with a bag of chocolate chips in his hand. "I really have to go. Bye Mrs Quart."

As I rush towards Alfie and practically drag him to the register to pay for the groceries I hear her call out, "I'll leave Cathy's phone number in your letterbox!"

"What was that about?" Alfie asks. I answer with a shrug.

It's weird to think about Dad actually dating. I'm still thinking about it when we get home. I don't even know if he'd want to date someone. Love kind of screwed him over the last time.

Alfie sits at the dining table reading while I make the cookie dough and get the sauce on for the pasta. If only Mrs Quart could see me now. "How long until the cookies are ready?" Alfie asks as I shut the old oven door with a slight bang.