59.

"Are you sure you have everything?" Alfie asks me for the third time. He's been fussing over me all morning, throwing odds and ends into my suitcase: a photo of him and Pepper, the first Mortal Instruments book, an apparent lucky-dollar which I heard him fish out of his money box earlier this morning.

I put my hand to my chin, pretending to think. "Do you think I can squash you into my suitcase?"

Alfie shakes his head, laughing, "No way! Did you know I've grown almost two inches this year? I'm finally taller than Madison."

"Watch out, tv coming through." Finn walks out of the house, carrying my tiny television and lays in down in the boot of my car. He arrived bright and early this morning, much to everyone's surprise. I didn't think he knew how to get out of bed before 11am.

"You know the next time you come home, our citrus trees will have fruit on them."

"I'll probably visit next weekend," I laugh. "Don't think those trees are getting any fruit before then."

Alfie looks at me unsurely. "Do you promise? That you'll visit next weekend?"

I nod. "I promise. USU is only a few hours up the road. It'll be like I haven't even left."

Dad comes out then, carrying a few bottles of water and a car-charger for my phone. I don't think we've properly spoken all morning. He's been as busy as Alfie, avoiding anything that even resembles a goodbye until the very last second, which - I look down at my watch - is right now.

"Okay. I really do have to get going. I told Calum I'd pick him up at 9:30."

Calum insisted on driving down to USU with me. He's going to catch the bus back later this afternoon. I told him he was crazy, and that I'm perfectly capable of driving alone. He told me that he wanted to steal as much time with me as he could before I became buried under uni work.

I hug Finn first. "Thanks for helping this morning."

"What else are big brothers for?"

Alfie snorts behind us. "Maybe you could take Alfie out for ice-cream this afternoon," I tell Finn with raised eyebrows. He turns around to Alfie, then gives me a nod.

"See you soon, sis."

Pepper is laying lazily by Alfie's feet. I give her a little pat, surprised to find myself a little sad to be leaving her as well. "I'll see you next weekend," I say to Alfie as I hug him. "I promise."

When I get to Dad, I see his eyes are glossy. "Allergies," he mumbles, hugging me. Sure, Dad. Whatever you say. "I'm so proud of you, Ruby," he says softly. "Drive safely, no speeding... You'll call me when you get there?"

"Yes, Dad," I smile, completely unbothered by him coddling me. It's not like he's going to ring me at USU every time I drive somewhere to warn me about speeding, the least I can do is let him have this moment.

The three of them stand side by side on the front porch and I get into my car. It feels strange for a moment, like our family is dividing into two; me and them.

But then Finn smiles at me, and Alfie leans down to Pepper and lifts her paw up so it looks like she's waving goodbye, and Dad squints into the sun, pretending he's not on the verge of tears, and even though I'm reversing out of the driveway and heading to my new life, it feels like the four of us are closer than ever.

I wind my window down and yell out a final goodbye. As I roll down the street slowly, I see nosy old Mrs Quart sitting on the bench seat on her front porch. She's watching me, and I smile at her, giving a little wave. I know she'll keep an eye on Dad and Alfie whether they like it or not.

Calum's already waiting outside his flat when I get there. He practically skips up to the car, and slides in. He's wearing the grey t-shirt that I bought him in Melbourne.

"I was going to come in and say goodbye to Michael."

"He's at work, but he said he'd hook you up with a free pizza next time you come home." Since graduation, Michael had been working at the local pizza place. 

"Now I'll definitely have to come back for a visit. Who can say no to free pizza?"

Calum laughs, holding out a CD. Written across it with a black marker is Ruby's College Mix, "Road trip essential."

"It should say University Mix," I correct him, leaning over and kissing his cheek. He turns his head at the last second, so that our mouths meet. 

We both smile. "Ruby's University Mix didn't sound as cool." He slides the CD into the player, and rests a hand on my thigh. I swallow hard, trying to figure out how I'm supposed to drive the whole way to USU with his hand there.

"Your dad already text me, telling me to make sure you don't speed."

I laugh. "He's going to be lost without me."

"Is it selfish if I say we'll all be lost without you?"

"No," I shake my head. "In fact, can you say it again?"

He's smiling. My eyes are set on the road but I can just feel it. When Calum smiles, his face warms everything around him like the sun on a perfect Summer afternoon. "I'm going to be lost without you, Rubes."

Now I'm smiling. "At least you've got Michael," I say so this moment doesn't turn into a complete cheeseball. Apparently having a boyfriend has made me into one of those rom-com characters. It's almost sickening. 

Almost, as in, I definitely wouldn't change the level of cheesiness for anything. Being in love is like being in a thick fog. It makes you oblivious to everything around you, including the people who roll their eyes at public displays of affection or the ones that think love is just for suckers. I know because I used to be one of those people.

Calum laughs, "I'd never have guessed I'd end up living with Michael."

"I'd never have guessed I'd be going off to USU without you." I try not to sound as sad as I feel.

Calum smiles again, deflecting all rays of sadness with his rays of sun again. "I'd never have guessed that I wouldn't be able to imagine my life without you in it."

We're heading into cheeseball territory again but I don't care. This car trip is all we have right now before everything shifts. Before we fall into that couple who are separated by distance, and Calum's at his uni and I'm at my uni and the parts of our lives that overlapped before become smaller and smaller. 

So yes, I'll indulge myself in these the cheesy, eye-roll worthy conversations. I've still got 46km before things have to change.

after much deliberation i've got one last chapter to go and then maybe, down the track once outer space is finished, i might consider a sequel. 

thank you to everyone who has read this story. i actually started this story just for fun to try and get better at writing first person and the fact that you've all enjoyed it so much makes me so so happy