14.

"Put your hand up if you're planning on going to university next year." Almost our entire English class put their hands up. Myself included.

"Now," Mrs Mackey continues, "keep your hand up if you've thought about which universities you'd like to apply for." Most of the class put their hands down. Myself included.

"I thought as much," Our English teacher says with a soft smile. "It's time to start thinking about it, especially if you're one of the students hoping for early acceptance." She raised an eyebrow at eye, and then began talking about A Midsummer Night's Dream.

I hate the way teachers are so smug. Would it kill them to think back to their teenage years and remember what a gruelling time it is to be seventeen? We're flooded with hormones and then there's the pressure from everyone: parents, teachers, our peers. We're fighting acne and trying to figure out what we want to do for the rest of our lives, all while juggling feelings and relationships and friendships. It's so exhausting sometimes.

It's probably easier for the kids who don't care about their grades. People like Joss who can afford to go to a good university, and thanks to her family's money, can still can in on average grades with a hefty donation towards building a new library or scholarship program.

Me on the other hand? If I don't want to be stuck in the same old house playing Mum to Alfie, then I was going to keep working my butt off to get good grades so I could get into uni. And hopefully I'll figure out exactly what it is I want to do before admissions close for next year.

At lunch time, I see Joss talking to Tess and Heath. As I get closer, I hear her inviting them to her party on Saturday night. Michael's next to her, listening to every word as if Joss's casual conversation is hauntingly beautiful poetry or something. Every so often, he touches her hair. Tess and Heath are sitting side by side with their hands laced together and I find myself looking around for Luke.

Is this what Year 12 would be like if I weren't fake-dating Luke? Would I just be that awkward extra person in every social situation?

To Luke: where are you?

I lean back and glance over to where Calum's sitting. He's laughing about something, a rare but beautiful sight. His eyes crinkle at the sides and his smile is seemingly taking up his entire face.

A hand grips my shoulders and I look up to see Luke standing behind me. He kisses my forehead while handing me a bottle of orange juice. "I was tempted to get you a kale smoothie," he teases with a slight laugh.

"Thanks," I'm smiling as his slips into the seat next to me. Our knees brush under the table and I'm staring down at my juice, trying not to give away how happy I am to have him here.

"What are they talking about?" he whispers. Our knees are still touching and there's something comforting about the fact that no one is looking underneath the table. It's a little moment that's just ours, and not entirely for show.

"Joss's party."

"Party? What party?"

Somehow Luke's question spikes Joss's attention and she stops talking to Tess and Heath, "You didn't tell him?" She looks at me with raised eyebrows before directing her attention to Luke. "I'm throwing a party on Saturday night. It's a couples party. Ruby was supposed to invite you."

She doesn't hide the annoyance in her voice which is almost ironic given that it's usually her that forgets things, and me getting annoyed.

"I'll be there," Luke answers and I want to roll my eyes at him even though he's Luke and I know he'd never turn down a party.

I didn't really forget to tell Luke about it. I've been trying to decide if I really want to go at all. At first I wasn't sure why I felt so hesitant. Dad was actually going to be home which meant a rare night out without feeling guilty or having to bribe Finn to look after Alfie. I'd decided that it's not because it's going to be all couples or because it's a whole night that Luke and I have to play happy couple. 

It's because I'm still kind of angry at Joss for what she said the other night, about sex being everything to boys like Luke. And for not accepting that maybe I'm just not ready.

She is supposed to be my best friend. She isn't supposed to judge me or pressure me for not wanting to have sex yet. That's another lie in all of those stupid romantic comedies she makes me watch. The female protagonist always has this epic best friend who's there for every ounce of heartbreak and happiness, and offers witty commentary instead of judgement.

That sort of friendship just doesn't exist when you're seventeen.

"You okay?" Luke whispers, and I realise I've zoned out. His hand is resting on my knee and as I turn my head to meet his eyes, we're breathing in the same oxygen and I'm reminded of the kiss inside my car when I dropped him off at Calum's.

"Yeah," I smile softly. "I'm okay."