30.

"I'm sure I don't have to remind you all of the exam on Friday," Mr Field's says at the end of class. Almost everyone is already out the door, myself included.

"Ruby, wait up!"

I turn on my heels to see Tess's smiling face. She's clutching her books close to her test, "How crazy has exam week been."

Pretty standard exam week, I want to say. Instead I agree with her, "Pretty crazy."

"I don't think I ever told you how much fun we had with you guys at the movies."

I gawk at her pretty face, thinking back to double date that was basically just a heavy make-out session for the couple, with Luke and I as an non-participating audience. I guess we have different ideas on what constitutes as fun.

Not that I'm complaining. It was fun hanging out with Luke. 

"Yeah, it was great. We should do it again sometime." It's an empty offer but one I deliver with a smile. Mine and Luke's relationship is fast approaching it's expiry date. We've barely seen each other this past fortnight because of exams. It's a good thing, though. I needed the distance.

He's already waiting for me when I get to my car. I like that he's always prompt on the days I have to pick Alfie up from school. "How'd you go today?" Luke catches the car keys I throw at him and takes his usual spot in the drivers seat. I wonder if we'll still ride to school together when this is all over. Or maybe I'll start riding with Calum.

"I only had Maths. I think I did good." I look out the window rather than at Luke. "How about you?"

"I had PE theory," he says, driving out of the school car park. "Pretty sure I nailed it."

Alfie's waiting for us when we get to his school. He swings into the car, unusually chipper. "Hi Ruby, hi Luke!"

"How was your day, bud?"

"It was the very best day of my entire life."

I turn around to look at my little brother. His face is tinted pink and his smile reaches right up to his ears. "Well, don't keep all of the excitement to yourself. What happened?"

He takes a slow and serious breath, "So, just before recess we had computer studies and on the way to the computer room, Tilly passed me a note."

"Who's Tilly?" Luke quizzes, glancing back at Alfie in the rear-view mirror.

"Madison's best friend," Alfie beams. "The note was from Madison asking me if I'd walk to recess with her."

"And then what happened?"

"We walked to the recess tables together but on the way," Alfie takes another deep breath," she took hold of my hand and we stayed like that for at least five minutes."

The ecstatic grin on Alfie's face is the same one Luke used to get after a date with a girl. The face that basically gave away if he'd gotten laid or not. 

"Way to go, ladies man," Luke parks the car in the driveway, leaning back and giving Alfie a light punch on the shoulder. "I might have to ask you for some tips."

The three of us get out of my car and Luke waves goodbye, starting to walk up his own driveway when Alfie calls out, "Luke! Do you want to come over for dinner? Ruby's making tacos!"

I'm praying that he'll say no, determined to keep up the distance I've finally put between myself and my feelings towards Luke. 

There's no hope for me when Luke cocks his head to the side and tells Alfie he'd love to.