40

Michael and I have been sitting in the parked car for almost seven minutes. I know because I've been watching the clock on the radio click over, one impossibly slow minute at a time.

"I'm sure it won't be that bad," I finally say, trying to encourage Michael just as much as myself. Personally, I'd like to transport back to yesterday afternoon when I was texting Calum live updates about The Outsiders.

"Yeah, come on," Michael says, running a hand through his new shorter, blue hair. Apparently I'm not the only one who makes a spontaneous hair-change to try and deal with my feelings. At least he's not high again. "Time to grab life by the balls."

I laugh, and kill the ignition. Michael hands over my school bag with a lop-sided, half smile. "What class do you have first anyway?"

"Legal Studies," I answer with relief. It's the first time I've been truly grateful to not have Joss in any of my classes. "What about you?"

"Music." He's leaning against the car now, looking warily in the direction of the quad where we usually sit in the mornings. 

"Maybe they won't be there," I tell him.

"Yeah, maybe."

We skip the seniors lounge entirely, and head straight for the quad with small, delicate footsteps. If we walk slow enough, the bell for class might go and we won't have to face them at all. My eyes are buy scanning the tables the way a drug mule would be scanning for cops. Actually, I'm suddenly so frantic it probably seems like I am on drugs.

"Do you see them?"

"No. Do you?"

Michael shakes his head. Our usual table is completely vacant. It doesn't look like Calum's around either. His posse are kicking a soccer ball around, neither Joss or Luke amongst that crowd either. It's all bought time. We're going to run into one or both of them eventually, but for now I can make it to my first class feeling a little less nauseous than when I left the house this morning.

One of Michael's large hands pats my shoulder, "See? Told you there was nothing to worry about."

I let out a short laugh, "Sure you did, Michael."

I'm the first one to arrive to Legal Studies. Call me a chicken, but Joss's Childcare class is up the hall and I didn't want to chance a run in with her.

As the classroom starts filling up, I avoid making eye contact with as many people as I can, until Tess walks in anyway. I look up at the wrong moment and catch her gazing at me with sad eyes. I give her a fake smile and then wait for the teacher to show up.

"Hello everybody," a brunette walks in with, high heels clicking with each step. Her lips are coated with thick red lipstick. "I'm Mrs O'Sullivan and I'll be your new Legal Studies teacher." New teacher? A flurry of whispers erupt through the room. Mostly, rumours about what might have happened to our old teacher. Car accident, mental breakdown, divorce. It always amazes me how people act like divorce is the worst thing that can happen to a person. It's not like it's cancer or anything.

Mrs O'Sullivan switches on the projector board and there's a reading list of a dozen books. "I've taken the liberty of preparing a reading list for you all." Her steely voice cuts through the sound of the rumour mill. "Please note, this is not a suggested reading list but a required one. We'll be working through the list from beginning to end, and you'll be quizzed on each text at the end of every week. Any questions?"

Everyone, myself included, is dead quiet. Our last teacher was nothing like this. She's sort of scary, but in a good way. Our last teacher was hopeless. "Right. Please begin taking down the reading list - " her eyes catch somewhere behind me. "There'll be no phones in my class. If I see that again, it will be confiscated." We all turn around to face the texting offender; Jordan Pool, a freckly boy who is even lankier than Luke. He looks so embarrassed, I feel a little sorry for him.

The classroom is the quietest it's ever been as we all diligently copy down the reading list, the extra assignment list and then start summarising the first textbook. I'm feeling quite triumphant as I speed through it all. This is the start of a new Ruby, I tell myself. A Ruby who focuses on school and is going to get kick-ass grades so I can go to USU next year.

Not that I've been brave enough to approach the topic with Dad. I know exactly what he'll say: USU is a great choice! or something equally enthusiastic, which isn't a bad thing, but once I know I have his approval I'll no longer be able to dance around my decision. I still have a few months before uni submissions anyway.

When class is let out, I eagerly pull out my phone to see if I've got a text from Calum, and sure enough, I do, two of them.

Calum: What are your plans for the weekend?

Calum: Wait. Is it lame to ask someone that on a Monday?

I laugh, dodging kids in the hall as I text back. Me: It's definitely lame, but I happen to like that :)

Me: What did you have in mind?

Calum: Pizza and a movie, nothing too serious

Me: Depends. What kind of pizza do you like?

Calum: Cheese

Me: Sounds good so far. Movie?

Calum: The Outsiders

Me: What happened to your stance that the book was better?

Calum: The book is better but you might have a different perspective on it now that you've read the book

Me: Almost read the book. I still have about twenty pages to go :)

Calum: So Friday night then? :)

Me: It's a date :)

Me: I mean, not a date. You know what I mean

Calum: It can be a date if you want it to be

Small butterflies erupt through my stomach.

Calum: or it can just be two friends hanging out

Calum: I'm down for whatever you want Ruby

Calum: But for the record, I'd love it to be a date

Now it's not just butterflies. There's bees and beetles and lady bugs, and an entire eco-system of excitement and nerves. 

I'm smiling like an idiot, trying to type of reply, when I see them. Joss and Luke. His tall frame is leaning against the wall, his eyes focused on his phone as his thumb swipes the screen. Joss is leaning close to him, her face bright and happy, her mouth talking a million miles per hour.

My phone is still in my hand, with half a text typed to Calum. Changing directions so that I don't have to walk past Luke and Joss, I delete the message instead of pressing send and then put my phone in the pocket of my school skirt. All of the excited butterflies have turned to lifeless mush.