45.

Early on Saturday morning I go to the bookstore and buy my very own copy of The Outsiders. The pages are white and uncreased, the spine not yet broken and it looks like it's just screaming out to be read.

Dad and Alfie are in the garden when I get home, so I make a quick getaway to my room, jump under the covers and start rereading The Outsiders.

I can't believe just days after thinking that I'd never read a book twice, I'm doing exactly that. I think watching the movie last night made me want to read it all over again. And as I'm reading, I'm thinking of Calum. I'm smiling at the pages like a kid smiling at fireworks.

There's a knock on my door. It's Dad. "What are you reading?" 

"The Outsiders."

"Again?" He looks surprised. He knows me well. "Are you feeling okay?"

I laugh. "I'm fine. Why?"

"You're in bed on a Saturday, reading a book for the second time." He frowns thoughtfully. "We haven't seen Joss for a while."

"We're - " There's no point in lying. "We're not friends anymore."

"I see. Well, we're outside if you'd like to join us. Enjoy your book."

I notice he purposely doesn't push the Joss thing. Dad plays that card a lot. He asks small questions and nothing more, hoping that when I'm ready I'll come to him and talk about it. I'd say it works about fifty percent of the time. This is not one of those times.

Me: Guess what I'm doing?

Calum: Watching The Lion King?

Me: Haha no!

Me: Is that what you're doing?

Calum: Maybe...

Calum: It's my favourite movie!

Me: You're the strangest human ever

Me: But in a good way :)

Calum: :)

Calum: So what are you doing?

Me: rereading The Outsiders

Calum: Did you finish a Wrinkle in Time yet?

Me: .... no

Calum: Ruby!

Me: Calum!

Calum: Ruby Lou!

Me: I told you not to call me that!

Calum: Sorry!

Me: So! Many! Exclamation! Marks!

Me: A Wrinkle in Time was boring :|

Calum: You have to give it a chance (!)

Calum: Do you know what your problem is?

Me: I'm sure you're going to tell me

Calum: You're impatient. You want everything to happen instantly

Calum: It takes time to discover something magical

Calum: some comets take five hundred years to complete their orbital period. that's a long time for the sun spends waiting to see the comet again